Energy of atoms in different levels

In summary, the conversation discusses a set of experiments on a hypothetical one-electron atom where the wavelengths of emitted photons were measured and the energy required for ionization was observed. The energy levels and corresponding wavelengths are given in a diagram. The conversation then proceeds to discuss the use of equations to calculate the atom's energy in each level and the wavelength of light emitted during a specific transition. The concept of ionization is also explained as the minimum energy needed to dislodge an electron from the bound energy states and how it relates to the ground state energy.
Noirchat

Homework Statement

In a set of experiments on a hypothetical one-electron atm, you measure the wavelengths of photons emitted as electrons return to the ground state (n=1), as shown in the energy level diagram. You also observe that it takes 17.50 eV to ionise this atom.

Diagram shows:
n=5 --> n=1 ~ λ = 73.86nm
n=4 --> n=1 ~ λ = 75.63nm
n=3 --> n=1 ~ λ = 79.76nm
n=2 --> n=1 ~ λ = 94.54nm

(i) What is the energy of the atom in each of the levels n=1 to n=5

(ii) If an electron makes a transition from the n=4 to the n=2 level, what wavelength of light would it emit?

Homework Equations

None provided

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at A

I think i use this equation:
E = -hxR/n^2

where:
h is Planck's constant 6.626 x 10^-34
R is Rydbergs constant 1.097 x 10^7
and n is the energy level

at n=5 i get: -2.907 x 10^-28
at n=4 i get: -4.543 x 10^-28
at n=3 i get: -8.076 x 10^-28
at n=2 i get: -1.817 x 10^-27
at n=1 i get: -7.269 x 10^-27

I think i use balmers equation in part B?

1/λ = R(1/2^2 - 1/4^2) where R= 1.097 x 10^7

1/λ = 2056875

I have a feeling I'm doing this all wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does ionization mean? How does the ionization energy relate to the ground state energy?

fzero said:
What does ionization mean? How does the ionization energy relate to the ground state energy?

Isn't it the minimum energy needed to dislodge an electron so it can move between energy states?

Noirchat said:
Isn't it the minimum energy needed to dislodge an electron so it can move between energy states?

For ionization, the final state is a free electron: it is no longer one of the bound energy states. This sets a reference point. Each bound state energy can be measured with respect to the lowest energy free state.

fzero said:
For ionization, the final state is a free electron: it is no longer one of the bound energy states. This sets a reference point. Each bound state energy can be measured with respect to the lowest energy free state.

Ok, that makes sense to me. So have i used the wrong equation?

What is the energy level of an atom?

The energy level of an atom refers to the specific amount of energy that an electron has while orbiting the nucleus of an atom. It is often represented by a whole number, with the lowest energy level being 1 and increasing in value as the energy level increases.

How do electrons move between energy levels?

Electrons can move between energy levels by either absorbing or releasing energy in the form of photons. When an electron absorbs energy, it jumps to a higher energy level. When it releases energy, it drops down to a lower energy level.

What is the relationship between energy levels and electron stability?

The higher the energy level of an electron, the less stable it is. This is because electrons naturally seek to be in the lowest possible energy state, known as the ground state. When an electron is in a higher energy level, it is more likely to release energy and drop down to a lower energy level in order to reach the ground state.

How do energy levels affect the properties of an atom?

The energy levels of an atom determine its chemical and physical properties. The number and arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels can affect its reactivity, bonding behavior, and ability to conduct electricity.

Can energy levels be changed?

Yes, energy levels can be changed through the absorption or release of energy by an atom's electrons. This process can occur naturally or artificially, such as through the use of lasers in scientific experiments.