Question regarding quantum gravity.

In summary, according to the journalist, the statement that gravity is not an emergent phenomenon is false. The journalist has read an academic paper by an expert in quantum mechanics, and this paper states that a quantum particle can be described by a large number of other particles.
Sigurdsson
I was recently reading a small news article named Experiments Show Gravity Is Not an Emergent Phenomenon.
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27102/?ref=rss.

It goes on about gravity not being a traditional force but a emergent phenomenon. But the interseting thing is
Kobakhidze argues that since each quantum particle must be described by a large number of other particles

I've gone through undergraduate courses in QM but have never heard of this. We can construct a wave function describing a quantum particle but how is this coherent with the statement above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigurdsson said:
I've gone through undergraduate courses in QM but have never heard of this. We can construct a wave function describing a quantum particle but how is this coherent with the statement above?
The journalists only know what he said originally, but in this form this statement is clearly false. And N-particle quantum system has exactly N particles, and can be described as such. E.g., when simulating a molecule (a very quantum-y system!), the number of electrons is generally fixed and no other particles than the input electrons occur.

In field theories there are also ways of describing a few real particules using additional virtual particles. But: (i) doing that is not necessary (they result from a particular form of a perturbation expansion of interactions), and (ii) the virtual particles are not real (they just represent terms the the mentioned perturbation expansion, not actual particles in any sense).

If you read the paper that is linked in the story, http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.4161, you'll find that Kobakhidze actually writes (emphasis mine):

"An inevitable consequence of Verlinde’s approach is that a test particle m is described by a statistically large number n(r) of microstates which depends on the position of the particle with respect to another particle M"

The microstates in question are the ones on the holographic screen surrounding the particle of mass M. A certain mixed state, not explicitly described, of these holographic microstates corresponds to the test particle. This representation is crucial to Verlinde's model.

Oh, my bad. I thought he was generally stating that quantum particle must be described by a large number of other particles. But this is only his criticism to Verlinde's theory. Thanks guys. :)

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It seeks to explain how gravity works at a quantum level, which is currently not understood.

2. Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it is necessary for a complete understanding of the fundamental forces in the universe. It would also help to reconcile the discrepancies between general relativity and quantum mechanics, which are currently two of the most successful theories in physics.

3. How does quantum gravity differ from general relativity and quantum mechanics?

Quantum gravity differs from general relativity because it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It also differs from quantum mechanics because it considers the effects of gravity, which is not accounted for in quantum mechanics.

4. Can quantum gravity be tested experimentally?

At this time, there is no experimental evidence for quantum gravity, as it is still a theoretical concept. However, many scientists are working on ways to test its predictions, such as through observations of black holes and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

5. Are there any proposed theories for quantum gravity?

Yes, there are several proposed theories for quantum gravity, including string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation. These theories are still being developed and tested, and there is currently no consensus on which theory is correct.