Hydrualic prime mover - the accumulator

• Thread starter jettlea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation discusses using a hydraulic system for a vehicle with a nominal weight and the challenges of energy storage for acceleration. The speaker's initial thought is to use a robust accumulator, but this would result in a large and heavy system. They mention a previous attempt at using hydraulic motors on a homemade sports car, which ultimately did not work out due to the need for a large reservoir for cooling.
jettlea
I am working on a hydraulic system for a vehicle of nominal weight. Of course, the hp required to keep it at reasonable highway speeds is reasonably in the 30-40 hp range.

My issue is energy storage for acceleration (s). This of course is substantial (like 150hp, over 8-10 seconds).

My first instinct is to consider a robust accumulator. But when I jump into the most basic of napkin approaches, I end up with a tank in the order of 80 gallons, 4-5kpsi, with the resulting storage capacity of only a few MJ of energy storage. Enough only to accelerate ~ 2 x. (I will address later (as others have) regeneration energy storage during deacceleration)

Am I heading down the wrong path here in considering a hydraulic accumulator (s), in a mid-sized car, to provide ~ 10 MJoules of energy storage?

Thanks in advance. Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
It has been done before, and yes you will end up with a large and heavy accumulator system. The one I saw had three cylinders a little larger than a K-bottle on a 3000 psi system. This is more often used on large and specially design moble heavy equipment. Accumulators are never small and light weight.

I have no expertise in this matter, but did have the brilliant (:rolleyes:) idea about 30 years ago of using hydraulic motors on a homemade sports car. I figured that it would provide ridiculous torque and eliminate the need for differentials. I wanted it to exceed the performance of my Roadrunner, which was 12-second quarter-mile times and a top speed of 160 mph, with 4-wheel drive. It was based upon the best equipment available from the Rucker catalogue at the time.
Jeez, but did that not work out! I can't even remember what sort of accumulator arrangement I had, if any. The pump was to be driven by a 1,500 hp diesel engine. The main killer, though, was that it would have required something on the order of a 1,000 gallon reservoir in order to allow for decent cooling of the fluid. That would have been bigger than the rest of the car. :frown:

What is a hydraulic prime mover?

A hydraulic prime mover is a mechanical device that converts the energy of a fluid, typically oil, into mechanical energy to power machinery or equipment.

What is an accumulator in a hydraulic system?

An accumulator is a storage device that stores pressurized fluid, typically oil, to be used in a hydraulic system to provide additional power or energy when needed.

How does an accumulator work in a hydraulic system?

An accumulator works by using a piston or bladder to compress and store pressurized fluid when the hydraulic system is in use. This stored energy can then be released to provide additional power or energy when needed.

What are the benefits of using an accumulator in a hydraulic system?

Using an accumulator in a hydraulic system can help improve the efficiency and performance of the system by providing additional power or energy when needed. It can also help reduce the strain on the hydraulic pump, extending its lifespan.

What are some common applications of hydraulic prime movers and accumulators?

Hydraulic prime movers and accumulators are commonly used in heavy machinery and equipment, such as construction equipment, cranes, and agricultural machinery. They are also used in various industrial applications, such as presses, lifts, and machine tools.

Back