Which engineering field has more job opportunities?

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between studying Engineering Physics or Electrical Engineering, and the possibility of switching from one to the other after the first year of study. The expert summarizer notes that there are generally more job opportunities and higher pay in the field of Electrical Engineering, although opinions may vary on which job is of higher quality. It is also mentioned that even if one switches to Electrical Engineering, they will still learn a significant amount of physics. However, the final decision should be based on individual research and preferences.
mousemouse123
I've gotten accepted to a university for Engineering Physics. I plan on going there in September; I also heard that you can switch from Engineering physics to electrical engineering after first year without having to take any "missed" courses.

Basically my question is which field has jobs of more quality and quantity?

Thank you for your time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
They are both great fields, but in general there are more EE jobs available...and in general EE jobs are higher paying.

Some people (physics guys) will argue this...but in general, I believe my above statement to be 100% true.

As far as which job is more quality...that's a matter of opinion unique to each individual.

Also, if you switch to EE...you are still going to learn a boat load of physics. There is no way around it.

psparky said:
They are both great fields, but in general there are more EE jobs available...and in general EE jobs are higher paying.

Some people (physics guys) will argue this...but in general, I believe my above statement to be 100% true.

As far as which job is more quality...that's a matter of opinion unique to each individual.

Also, if you switch to EE...you are still going to learn a boat load of physics. There is no way around it.

I really don't mind learning physics or math, that's actually one of the reason why I went into engineering; I just really didn't know which program out of the two I should go in. I'm going to do more research on this though.

1. Which engineering field has the most job opportunities overall?

The engineering field with the most job opportunities overall can vary depending on the current job market and industry demand. However, some of the top engineering fields with consistently high job opportunities include mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and electrical engineering.

2. Is there a specific engineering field that is in high demand currently?

Yes, there are several engineering fields that are currently in high demand. These include software engineering, data science, and environmental engineering. With the rise of technology and the focus on sustainability, these fields are expected to continue having high job opportunities in the future.

3. Are there any engineering fields that have a shortage of job opportunities?

While the demand for engineers is generally high, there are some engineering fields that may have fewer job opportunities compared to others. These fields may include aerospace engineering, biomedical engineering, and chemical engineering. However, job opportunities in these fields can still vary depending on the industry and location.

4. Does the location I want to work in impact job opportunities in different engineering fields?

Yes, the location can have a significant impact on job opportunities in different engineering fields. Some areas may have a higher demand for certain types of engineers depending on the local industries and projects. It is important to research the job market in your preferred location before pursuing a specific engineering field.

5. Are there any emerging engineering fields with growing job opportunities?

Yes, there are several emerging engineering fields that have growing job opportunities. These include renewable energy engineering, artificial intelligence engineering, and cybersecurity engineering. With advancements in technology and increasing global concerns, these fields are expected to have a high demand for engineers in the future.