Paralysing the somatic nervous system

In summary, there are different drugs that can cause paralysis without analgesia. Tetrodotoxin causes paralysis but its mechanism of action is it blocks voltage gated sodium channels which is the same thing that local anesthetics like procaine does so I'm guessing it completely numbs the person so they can't feel any pain. Curare paralyses both the somatic and autonomic nervous system and if I'm not mistaken, it does this by blocking ACh receptors. If I'm not mistaken, curare is actually used as an anesthetic so I'm guessing it numbs the patients ability to feel pain. The idea of being paralysed but being able to feel pain is a bit disturbing to me. I get sleep paralysis regularly
mycotheology
In the movie Law Abiding Citizen, there's a scene where a guy gets paralysed by a puffer fish toxin I think it was (maybe tetrodotoxin) and the guy who paralysed him explained that "the toxin completely disables your ability to move your muscles but it leaves all the other neurological functions intact so you feel everything". Are there drugs that will cause paralysis without analgesia? Tetrodotoxin causes paralysis but its mechanism of action is it blocks voltage gated sodium channels which is the same thing that local anasthetics like procaine does so I'm guessing it completely numbs the person so they can't feel any pain. Curare paralyses both the somatic and autonomic nervous system and if I'm not mistaken, it does this by blocking ACh receptors. If I'm not mistaken, curare is actually used as an anesthetic so I'm guessing it numbs the patients ability to feel pain. The idea of being paralysed but being able to feel pain is a bit disturbing to me. I get sleep paralysis regularly and I can feel physical sensations while in it. I can pull myself out of sleep paralysis but with drug induced paralysis you couldn't just pull yourself out of it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Curare has no hypnotic effects so you're still awake after it paralyses you. It doesn't just paralyse the somatic nervous system though, it paralyses the autonomic nervous system so a high dose of it is fatal because it paralyses the muscles involved in breathing. I saw a documentary where they hooked a guy up to a respirator and injected him with curare and he says he was fully conscious and lucid throughout the whole thing. He could feel physical sensations too. I believe that curare antagonises ACh receptors at the neuromuscular junction, that's why it induces paralysis. Tetrodotoxin on the other hand blocks voltage gated sodium channels and I know that it causes paralysis (which is usually fatal since its so potent) but I don't know whether you can feel physical sensations, in other words I don't know whether it blocks efferent neural pathways. Theoretically, I assume it does because unlike ACh antagonism, blocking sodium channels should make it impossible for action potentials to be propagated, regardless of the direction.

I don't know what kind of anesthetics modern hospitals use but I know about the earlier ones such as chloroform, ether, halothane, nitrous oxide etc. Nitrous acts on multiple receptors and has a pretty complex mechanism but chloroform, ether, halothane etc. I believe bind to the benzodiazepine site on the GABA_a receptor. I don't know why these classes of drugs induce sleep (curare doesn't, not sure about tetrodotoxin) but I believe their sedative/anaesthetic properties are due to the influx of chloride ions which make cells much harder to depolarise. Do GABA modulators induce paralysis at high doses?

Last edited:

What is the somatic nervous system?

The somatic nervous system is a part of the peripheral nervous system that controls voluntary movements and receives sensory information from the body. It is responsible for sending signals from the brain to the muscles and skin.

How does the somatic nervous system become paralyzed?

The somatic nervous system can become paralyzed due to damage or dysfunction in the spinal cord or nerves that connect to the muscles. This can be caused by injuries, diseases such as multiple sclerosis, or autoimmune disorders that attack the nerves.

What are the symptoms of paralyzing the somatic nervous system?

The symptoms of paralyzing the somatic nervous system may vary depending on the extent and location of the damage. Some common symptoms include muscle weakness or loss of sensation, difficulty with voluntary movements, and loss of reflexes.

Can the somatic nervous system be repaired or regenerated?

Currently, there is no known way to repair or regenerate the somatic nervous system. However, researchers are studying techniques such as nerve grafting or stem cell therapy to potentially restore function in paralyzed nerves.

How is paralyzing the somatic nervous system treated?

Treatment for paralyzing the somatic nervous system may include physical therapy, medication, and assistive devices such as braces or wheelchairs. In some cases, surgery may be recommended to repair or bypass damaged nerves. It is also important to address any underlying conditions that may be causing the paralysis.