Calculating mutiple forces on a body

• Thread starter johnpauldisec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with interpreting multiple forces on a body in a physics engine. The first question is about how to interpret a single force on a body, and the second question is about calculating resultant forces and torques when multiple forces with varying angles are present. The second diagram is deemed correct for interpreting the rotation of a car, and the conversation concludes by stating that the total net force and torque can be calculated by summing the individual forces and torques.
johnpauldisec
Hi
I am making physics engine (computer) and i have some problems with interpretating multiple forces on one body.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/396/75i7i47i6.png

On the fourth car (on right) there are two forces acting on two rear wheels, interpretation is obvious, but what when only one force is acting ? Which of these three interpretation, if any, is correct?
How to calculate how much force is moving body and how much it is rotating it (moment) ?
I currently use second image interpretation but i think it is not correct.

And, second question, how to calculate when mutiple forces with random angles etc are present ?
I think somebody asked that question before: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222598
but i don't understand answer he was given.
I have force angles and forces, but i can have x and y components about any axis/angle. I need a way to calulate resultant force/moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total net force is always the (vector) sum of the individual forces, and you can sum all x-components for the x-component and all y-components for the y-component.
The total net torque is always the sum of all individual torques, you can simply sum them.
Diagram 2 looks good. Keep in mind that the rotation of a car is usually determined by the position of the wheels - external torque does not matter as long as the wheels do not slide.

1. How do you calculate the net force on a body?

The net force on a body can be calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on the body together. This is known as vector addition, where the direction and magnitude of each force must be taken into account.

2. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are forces that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. Unbalanced forces are forces that are not equal and opposite, resulting in a net force that causes the body to accelerate in the direction of the larger force.

3. How do you find the individual forces acting on a body?

The individual forces acting on a body can be found by using free body diagrams and identifying all the external forces acting on the body. These can include gravitational, normal, frictional, and applied forces.

4. Can you have more than two forces acting on a body?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple forces acting on a body. In fact, it is common to have more than two forces acting on a body, especially in real-world situations.

5. How do you calculate the direction of a force on a body?

The direction of a force on a body can be determined by using the angle of application. This is the angle between the force vector and a reference line, such as the x-axis. The direction of a force can also be described using the cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) or by using positive and negative signs (+ or -) to indicate direction along the x or y axis.