Electronic Fuel Injection Help Needed

In summary: Right, but we don't know what is the purpose of your project. Are you focused on the electronic part (commanding the injection)?. Otherwise, are you focused in the proper process of injection (atomization, mixing, etc?). Is it for a Diesel or for a spark ignition engine?You should take a look at a heat engines book. I strongly recommend you the book of Heywood "Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals". A strong knowledge about combustion in internal engines is needed in order to understand how the electronic system governs the event of injection. There are fuel to air ratio laws derived for spark ignition engines which ensure the maximum power and the minimum consumption of fuel, which are the two principal functioning modes
davy9
I am currently in first year engineering. I am doing a project on electronic fuel injection. The project requires as much physics incorporation as possible.

I am just wondering if there is anybody who has some advise or ideas for me as far as "the physics of electronic fuel injection."

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
davy9 said:
I am currently in first year engineering. I am doing a project on electronic fuel injection. The project requires as much physics incorporation as possible.

I am just wondering if there is anybody who has some advise or ideas for me as far as "the physics of electronic fuel injection."

Thank you

Right, but we don't know what is the purpose of your project. Are you focused on the electronic part (commanding the injection)?. Otherwise, are you focused in the proper process of injection (atomization, mixing, etc?). Is it for a Diesel or for a spark ignition engine?

You should take a look at a heat engines book. I strongly recommend you the book of Heywood "Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals". A strong knowledge about combustion in internal engines is needed in order to understand how the electronic system governs the event of injection. There are fuel to air ratio laws derived for spark ignition engines which ensure the maximum power and the minimum consumption of fuel, which are the two principal functioning modes of the injection. If you want to know more about combustion in this devices, post here your doubts or search for a book or tutorial. As far as electronics are concerned, I only know how the system is governed externally. I only can help you with external sensors.

...I can help you with atomisation!

Yes, as far as atomization goes. I have some limited knowledge on this. I do know that oil refineries (such as the one I am co-oping at right now) blend their fuels to be a little lighter in the wintertime. Lighter as in more lighter hydrocarbons, C5s, C6s, etc. Supposedly, this is to help atomization due to the cold weather. Then, when it starts getting warmer, they go back to the heavier blend.

The objective of fuel injection is to obtain a much better - fuel/air (oxidizer) mixture - in order to maximize combustion efficiency.

There is the physics of the injector nozzle and the fuel/air flow fields (fluid dynamics), and the physics (chemistry/thermodynamics) of combustion.

Then there is the electronic control system - solid-state digital microprocessor, sensors and actuators - which controls flow rate and pressure of fuel in conjunction with flow rate, temperature and pressure of the air.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. These points give me a basis to begin my research. If I incounter any specific problems I will be sure to post them here.

Davy9

What is electronic fuel injection?

Electronic fuel injection is a type of fuel delivery system used in modern automobiles. It replaces the older carburetor system and uses electronic sensors and fuel injectors to deliver precise amounts of fuel to the engine.

How does electronic fuel injection work?

Electronic fuel injection works by using an engine control unit (ECU) to monitor various engine parameters, such as air flow, engine temperature, and throttle position. Based on this information, the ECU calculates the amount of fuel needed and sends signals to the fuel injectors to deliver the appropriate amount of fuel into the engine.

What are the benefits of electronic fuel injection?

Some of the benefits of electronic fuel injection include improved fuel efficiency, better engine performance, and reduced emissions. It also allows for easier starting in cold weather and better control over fuel delivery for different driving conditions.

What are some common issues with electronic fuel injection?

Some common issues with electronic fuel injection include clogged fuel injectors, faulty sensors, and problems with the ECU. These issues can result in poor engine performance, reduced fuel efficiency, and difficulty starting the vehicle.

Can electronic fuel injection be repaired or replaced?

Yes, electronic fuel injection can be repaired or replaced. If there is a specific issue, such as a clogged fuel injector or faulty sensor, it can be fixed. In some cases, the entire system may need to be replaced if it is no longer functioning properly.