Can someone explain what Eigenfrequency is? Trying to explain it to someone.

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: Quantum effects on the scale of a cell would be highly improbable, to an extent that most people would regard as impossible.
nukeman
I have not got to this point in Physics yet, but I am trying to do a little research project on the side and this came up within the group (Yet no one really knew what they were talking about)

Someone asked if it applies at all on a quantum level?

Basically what we are trying to do is measure and change the frequency of a membrane receptor in a biological organism. Would eigenfrequency apply at all in anyway what so ever?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about the natural frequencies of the membrane structure? If you're trying to change the frequency, the easiest way is to alter the stiffness of the material. Not exactly sure what you're asking.

You'd get eigenfrequencies as modes in a quantized oscillator.
Look up "eigenvalue".

I'd imagine that an organism will be on the large side for quantum effects - different parts of a macroscopic membrane would have different eigenfrequencies and the whole lot would average out to the classical behavior.

Simon Bridge said:
You'd get eigenfrequencies as modes in a quantized oscillator.
Look up "eigenvalue".

I'd imagine that an organism will be on the large side for quantum effects - different parts of a macroscopic membrane would have different eigenfrequencies and the whole lot would average out to the classical behavior.

Well it doesn't need to be a quantized oscillator at all. Just solving the classical harmonic oscillator the frequency solutions are eigenvalues (since you're essentially diagonalizing a matrix).

Yeah - I had my hind brain nudging me on that ever since I wrote down "modes".
I think I am mixing up the two parts of the question.

QM effects on the scale of a cell would be highly improbable, to an extent that most people would regard as impossible.

There's a bit of confusion here because the term eigenfrequency applies to any oscillating system - not just QM. So the answer is 'yes' or 'no' depending on how you interpret the question.

1. What is Eigenfrequency?

Eigenfrequency, also known as natural frequency, is the frequency at which a system or object naturally vibrates without the influence of an external force. It is a characteristic property of a system and is determined by its physical properties and boundary conditions.

2. How is Eigenfrequency different from resonant frequency?

Eigenfrequency and resonant frequency are related concepts, but they are not the same. Eigenfrequency is the natural frequency of a system, while resonant frequency is the frequency at which a system will vibrate with the maximum amplitude in response to an external force. Resonant frequency is always equal to or very close to the Eigenfrequency of a system.

3. What are some examples of systems with Eigenfrequency?

Some examples of systems with Eigenfrequency include musical instruments, pendulums, and buildings. In musical instruments, the Eigenfrequency determines the pitch of the sound produced. In pendulums, the Eigenfrequency determines the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. In buildings, the Eigenfrequency is an important factor in determining their stability during earthquakes.

4. How can Eigenfrequency be calculated?

The Eigenfrequency of a system can be calculated using the system's physical properties and boundary conditions. For simple systems, such as a mass on a spring, the Eigenfrequency can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(k/m)), where f is the Eigenfrequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass. For more complex systems, numerical methods such as finite element analysis may be used.

5. Why is Eigenfrequency important in engineering and physics?

Eigenfrequency is important in engineering and physics because it helps us understand the natural behavior of systems and predict how they will respond to external forces. It is also a crucial factor in designing and analyzing structures and devices, such as bridges and electronic circuits, to ensure they do not fail or malfunction due to resonance. Additionally, Eigenfrequency plays a significant role in fields such as acoustics, optics, and quantum mechanics.