What is the time when the ball is 15 m above the ground?

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a ball being thrown upwards with an initial velocity of 20 m/s. The total time the ball is in the air is 4.08 seconds and the greatest height the ball reaches is 20.4 meters. The conversation also mentions trying to find the time when the ball is 15 meters above the ground, suggesting using the equation y(t)=v_{0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2} and providing a website for a simulation of projectile motion.
carltonblues
1)A ball is thrown upward with an initial velocity of v = 20 m/s. How long is the ball in the air? What is the greatest height of the ball? When is the ball 15 m
above the ground?

1) I have figured out

t total = 4.08s
greatest height = 20.4m

For the last bit (Finding the time when x=15m), I am having trouble. I know the answer but cannot work it through.

Do I use s = ut+1/2at^2 for it?

If I do, it won't work out because the 20.4 m has to come into it, doesn't it?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation giving height (let's label it through 'y') as function of time is
[tex] y(t)=v_{0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2} [/tex]

Now set "y" to 15m and solve for "t"...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
The equation giving height (let's label it through 'y') as function of time is
[tex] y(t)=v_{0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2} [/tex]

Now set "y" to 15m and solve for "t"...

Daniel.
Cheers mate

1. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in ball projectile physics?

In ball projectile physics, velocity and acceleration are directly related. The acceleration of an object is equal to the change in its velocity over time. This means that as the velocity of a ball increases, so does its acceleration, and vice versa.

2. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a ball in projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the trajectory of a ball in projectile motion. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force can cause the ball to slow down and deviate from its expected path.

3. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion refers to the motion of an object with a constant horizontal velocity and a constant vertical acceleration (usually due to gravity). In contrast, vertical projectile motion involves both a horizontal and vertical component of velocity, with a constant acceleration acting in the vertical direction.

4. How does the angle of release affect the range of a ball in projectile motion?

The angle of release of a ball in projectile motion can greatly impact its range. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as this allows for the most efficient combination of horizontal and vertical velocities. Angles greater or less than 45 degrees will result in a shorter range.

5. What is the equation for calculating the maximum height of a ball in projectile motion?

The equation for calculating the maximum height of a ball in projectile motion is h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of release, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes no air resistance and a perfectly symmetrical projectile path.