Question on the history of calculating the orbital of planets

In summary, humans were able to accurately predict the orbital paths of planets near Earth, which led to the discovery of other planets like Neptune and Pluto. However, due to the influence of other unknown planets, the first-hand data used for these calculations may not be entirely precise. Despite this, advancements in technology have allowed for more accurate measurements and calculations of planetary orbits.
tinir
I learned on the textbook that human calculated the orbital of planets that near the Earth first then based on the difference of the actual data of the planet orbitaland that of human predicted, human calculated out other planets' orbital and predicted some planets like Neptune and Pluto. I think, however, shouldn't the actual data be already affected by planets that had not been found? Thus I think the first-hand data is not very precise. Could someone solve my confusion? Thx

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The only planet that was predicted to exist before it was discovered was Neptune. The orbit of Uranus was calculated and after a time it was discovered that small errors were present. These errors could be explained by another planet further out exerting it's gravitation on Uranus. Calculations were done and the planet was subsequently found about 1 degree from its predicted location in the sky.

I don't count Pluto because its discovery was a complete fluke. The orbit of Uranus was thought to be influenced by yet another planet further out, but it turned out that the mass of Neptune had simply been incorrect.

And you are correct in that the our measurements and calculations are much more accurate now than they were in the 1800's and early 1900's. This is due to longer periods of time to measure the planets motions combined with a vastly higher quality of optics and the development of digital sensors.

Thank you very much! It helps me a lot.

1. How did early civilizations calculate the orbital of planets?

Early civilizations, such as the Babylonians and Greeks, used observations and mathematical calculations to track the movement of planets and predict their future positions in the sky. They often relied on geometric models and made observations over long periods of time to refine their calculations.

2. Who was the first person to accurately calculate the orbital of a planet?

Johannes Kepler, a German astronomer, was the first person to accurately calculate the orbital of a planet. He used data from his mentor, Tycho Brahe, to develop his three laws of planetary motion, which provided a more accurate understanding of the movement of planets.

3. How did the invention of the telescope impact the calculation of planetary orbits?

The invention of the telescope in the 17th century greatly improved the accuracy of calculating planetary orbits. By allowing scientists to observe celestial bodies in more detail, they were able to collect more precise data and make more accurate calculations.

4. How has technology changed the way we calculate planetary orbits?

Advances in technology, such as computers and space telescopes, have greatly improved our ability to calculate planetary orbits. With the help of powerful computers, scientists can now run complex simulations and analyze vast amounts of data to refine our understanding of planetary motion.

5. Can we accurately predict the orbital of planets in the future?

Yes, with our current understanding of planetary motion and the use of advanced technology, we can accurately predict the orbital of planets in the future. However, slight variations in the orbits may occur due to factors such as gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies.