What is the trick to solving this baffling circuit problem?

• Thread starter sys.fail
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the current through resistor R in a circuit with 4 ohm resistors and 4 V ideal batteries. After struggling with the complexity of the circuit and seeking help, it is revealed that the current can be found using Kirchoff's Voltage Law by tracing a loop that only passes through the batteries and the resistor in question. This results in a current of 2A.
sys.fail
In the figure provided, all the resistors have a resistance of 4 ohms and all the ideal batteries have an emf of 4 V. What is the current through resistor R?

This question had me baffled for a while, I can't quite trace through the circut. Even my physics teacher got lost with the unbelievable loops in the circut. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• MCircut.gif
    MCircut.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
ANYONE? Come on, this can't be that hard.

I think it's 2A.
Use Kirchoff's Voltage Law.
Start at the junction below the lower-left battery.
Travel up to the upper left corner, passing along three batteries along the way.
Then travel right to the battery near the right-side, passing it "backwards".
Then travel to your resistor, then down to the bottom wire, which is
equivalent to your starting point.

(+4V) + (+4V) + (+4V) + (-4V) + (-IR) = 0
or
(+8V)=IR... so I=(8 V)/R = (8 V)/(4 ohms)= 2A.

Aha! I knew there had to be a trick! Here I was starting to set up a 19 x 19 matrix. After bogging down in all the junctions I thought I'd just wait for the answer to show up. So, to summarize: find a loop that only passes through the batteries and the resistor that you want, eh? Brilliant! I love it!

1. What is a "Baffling Circuit problem"?

A "Baffling Circuit problem" is a technical term used to describe a complex or difficult issue related to an electrical circuit. It could refer to a malfunctioning circuit, a confusing wiring layout, or any other problem that is challenging to understand or solve.

2. How do I troubleshoot a Baffling Circuit problem?

To troubleshoot a Baffling Circuit problem, it is important to carefully analyze and understand the circuit in question. This may involve tracing the wiring, checking for loose connections, and using diagnostic tools. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts or refer to technical manuals.

3. What are some common causes of Baffling Circuit problems?

There are many possible causes of Baffling Circuit problems, including faulty components, incorrect wiring, electromagnetic interference, and software or programming errors. Other factors such as environmental conditions, wear and tear, and user error may also contribute to these issues.

4. How can I prevent Baffling Circuit problems?

To prevent Baffling Circuit problems, it is important to follow proper installation and maintenance procedures. This may include using quality components, ensuring correct wiring and grounding, and regularly inspecting and testing the circuit. It is also important to carefully document the circuit design and any changes made to it.

5. When should I seek professional help for a Baffling Circuit problem?

If you are unable to troubleshoot or solve a Baffling Circuit problem on your own, it may be necessary to seek help from a professional electrician or electronics technician. They have the knowledge, experience, and tools to diagnose and fix complex circuit issues. It is important to address these problems promptly to prevent safety hazards and potential damage to the circuit.