How close does a spacecraft get to Tethys during a mission?

In summary, the distance of a spacecraft from a cosmic body varies depending on factors such as kinetic energy, engines, and fuel. However, Tethys has been approached by several space probes, with the closest recorded approach being 15 Tethys diameters or around 15000km. For example, the Cassini mission had a closest approach of 78000km at insertion and swung out as far as 9100000km. Real orbits are more complex than the simple circles taught in high school.
Numeriprimi
How high is usually the probe above the surface of the cosmic body? It would be best if it was specifically the Tethys, but suffice average.

Thanks and sorry for my bad English.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You mean how far spacecraft get to the objects they are sent to look at?
You know some of them land right? There is no "standard orbit" for spacecraft . If it has to travel further, then the closest approach is determined by it's kinetic energy, engines, and fuel (and the object in question).

Tethys has been approached by several space probes including Pioneer 11 (1979), Voyager 1 (1980), Voyager 2 (1981), and Cassini since 2004.

dmuller has timelines for spacecraft missions - here's the Tethys one:
http://www.dmuller.net/spaceflight/target.php?target=tethys
I don't think I believe the 1500km value for 2005-09-23 (Cassini) .. I'd believe 15000kms.

That's really close - 15 Tethys diameters - a bit more than the diameter of the Earth.

From Saturn, Cassini managed a long ellipse, if I'm reading that right, with the closest approach at 78000km (at insertion) and swinging out as far as 9100000km.
There was a lot of manovering, according to the timeline - typically the closest was around 200000km and the farthest 2000000km.
http://www.dmuller.net/spaceflight/mission.php?mission=cassini

Real orbits are some way from the simple circles you learn in high school aye?

Last edited:

1. What is a high probe above surface?

A high probe above surface refers to a scientific instrument that is suspended or elevated above a surface to collect data or observe a specific area or phenomenon.

2. How is a high probe above surface used in scientific research?

A high probe above surface is used in scientific research to collect data on various aspects such as atmospheric conditions, weather patterns, and environmental changes. It can also be used to study geological features, animal behavior, and plant growth.

3. What are the different types of high probes used in scientific research?

There are several types of high probes used in scientific research, including weather balloons, drones, satellites, and aircraft. Each type has its own advantages and capabilities, depending on the specific research needs and objectives.

4. What are the benefits of using a high probe above surface in scientific research?

The use of a high probe above surface in scientific research allows for data collection from a higher vantage point, providing a more comprehensive view of the area being studied. It also allows for data collection in hard-to-reach or dangerous locations, reducing the risk to researchers.

5. Are there any limitations to using a high probe above surface in scientific research?

While high probes have many benefits, they also have limitations. They are limited in their ability to collect data in certain weather conditions, such as strong winds or heavy rainfall. They also have limitations in terms of the weight and size of equipment that can be carried, which can impact the types of data that can be collected.