C/2013 A1: Weight Estimation & Final Trajectory

• Thread starter Ottlite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    comet
In summary, the Chelyabinsk meteor has been determined to be 700,000 tons and 56 feet in diameter. However, this is not the final estimate and is irrelevant to the question of estimating the weight of inbound comet C/2013 A1 at 50 kilometers in diameter. The density of comet nuclei is lower than that of meteoroids, making a simple comparison difficult. The proposed impact of the comet on Mars is causing mixed reactions, with some marveling at the potential crater and others concerned about the effects on Mars and potentially Earth.
Ottlite
First post...Hi everyone.

Now that the Chelyabinsk meteor has been determined to be 700,000 tons and 56 feet in diameter, is there anyway of "guesstimating" how much inbound comet C/2013 A1 would weigh at approximately 50 kilometers in diameter? Also when would/could the final trajectory be determined as I understand it is now expected to be closer to Mars that earlier estimated.

I'm certain this forum is a far better source of astronomical information that MSNBC which are spouting the story.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ottlite said:
Now that the Chelyabinsk meteor has been determined to be 700,000 tons and 56 feet in diameter

I am not convinced this is the final estimate, besides, it is irrelevant to the question:

is there anyway of "guesstimating" how much inbound comet C/2013 A1 would weigh at approximately 50 kilometers in diameter?

There is no simple comparison here - densities of meteoroids are definitely higher than densities of comets. According to wikipedia average density of comet nucleus is around 0.6 g/mL - that, plus the diameter, is enough to estimate mass.

The thing I find astonishing about this comet relates to the 500km wide, 2km deep crater, that'll result from a direct impact. People around me are cooing in wonder, and saying things like: "Ooh, Ahhh, hope it hits, won't it look pretty." I, however, am furrowing my brow as deep as it'll go, at the thought of how much of Mars' surface, which used to occupy that crater, will be flung into the void, and sent tumbling through the inner solar system. We're surely in for a pummelling, too, if collision occurs. If not right away, then quite probably after from bits of it.

What is C/2013 A1?

C/2013 A1, also known as Comet Siding Spring, is a comet that was discovered in 2013. It made a close approach to Mars in October 2014, and its trajectory was of interest to scientists as it could potentially impact the planet.

How was the weight of C/2013 A1 estimated?

The weight of the comet was estimated using data from various instruments, including the Hubble Space Telescope and ground-based telescopes. By measuring the amount of light reflected by the comet's surface, scientists were able to calculate its size and from there estimate its weight.

What is the final trajectory of C/2013 A1?

The final trajectory of the comet was determined through a combination of observations and computer simulations. It was found that the comet would make a very close approach to Mars, passing within about 139,500 kilometers of the planet's surface.

What were the potential risks of C/2013 A1 impacting Mars?

If C/2013 A1 had impacted Mars, it could have caused significant damage to the planet's surface and potentially affected any existing missions or future plans for exploration. It could also have potentially released large amounts of dust and gas into Mars' atmosphere.

What did scientists learn from studying C/2013 A1?

Studying C/2013 A1 provided scientists with valuable information about the composition and behavior of comets. It also gave them a better understanding of the potential risks and trajectories of near-Earth objects, which can help with future efforts to protect our planet from potential impacts.

Back