Which movies and TV shows have the best representation of science and math?

In summary: It's great for anyone who's ever wanted to know about how science actually works.The Dish (Never heard of this one, so I looked it up):
oldunion
Id like to compile a list of good science/physics/mathematics/ or "movies that make you think" type films. Please add to my small list:

the arrival
independence day
k-pax
the bbc space series with sam neil
event horizon
a beautiful mind
supernova

Physics news on Phys.org
Cinema:
-OutBreak/The Adromeda Strain
-Pi
-When Worlds Collide
-Any Irwin Allen Natrural Disaster Film (and the "Airport" series; to a lesser degree)

T.V.:
-Connections w/ James Burke
-Blue Planet
-Angry Planet (Discovery Channel)
-Secret Weapons (don't bother with "Fututre Fighting Machines" on Tech TV; they show advanced weapons systems, but give little or no information on their inner workings)
-Nature
-Living Planet (BBC Miniseries; really top-shelf)
-This Saturday either the Discovery or Learning channel will do a bit of scifi they're calling "Alien Planet". Purely speculative exobiology, and I don't expect the ideas (or even the science) to be very good, but might be a good trigger for further thought.

October Sky

Contact. Also The Matrix, even if it's heavy on the fiction side of things and could only make this list tangentially.

oldunion said:
Id like to compile a list of good science/physics/mathematics/ or "movies that make you think" type films. Please add to my small list:

the arrival
independence day
k-pax
the bbc space series with sam neil
event horizon
a beautiful mind
supernova
IMO, any movie that exhibits bad science, even if it has some good science, needs to be disqualified. If not, it will lead viewers to the fallacious conclusion that all the science they see in that movie is accurate.

This disqualifies 'Independence Day' and 'Event Horizon' at least which are horrible in their depiction of science.

However, I would definitely put '2001: A Space Odyssey' on that list, if not at the top. Some old-timers like to play a game called 'Find a physics error in the movie'. It is not easy to do. Almost every detail of the movie is accurate - from orbital motion to vacuum of space - and it was released in 1967! Before we landed on the Moon!

good will hunting
pi

Gattaca?

This is a sentence written to get my message above the minimum number of characters allowed. It serves no other purpose so don't bother reading it.

DaveC426913 said:
However, I would definitely put '2001: A Space Odyssey' on that list, if not at the top. Some old-timers like to play a game called 'Find a physics error in the movie'. It is not easy to do. Almost every detail of the movie is accurate - from orbital motion to vacuum of space - and it was released in 1967! Before we landed on the Moon!
2001 is a great film, but is still essentially science fiction, Hal being the most fictional element. The only films mentioned that don't play fast and loose with any science are October Sky and A Beautiful Mind.

My good list:

Apollo 13
The Right Stuff
October Sky
The Dish

My fun science (fiction) movie list:

First Men In The Moon
Galaxy Quest
Space Cowboys

Just a few for now.

The Dish (Never heard of this one, so I looked it up):

Australia's involvement with the 1969 Apollo moon mission arrived with an unexpected wallop when its radio telescope in rural Parkes was elevated fron the Southern Hemishpere's backup broadcaster to primary broadcaster of Neil Armstrong's "one giant leap for mankind'. It is a modern wonder that the ten-year-old multibillion-dollar program became solely reliant on an untested crew based in a sheep paddock to capture this priceless moment in history."

DVD & Video Guide, Martin & Porter, 2004

well whatever you do get rid of "the bbc space series with sam neil" its complete rubbish, it's one of these science programmes that spend a lot of time telling you a load of nothing. They simply dazzle you with pretty pictures to convince you that you're learning something.

The Dish is a fantastic movie. Very good. So is October Sky.

I have to agree that most science movies are crap and are junk science at best. If we're including those movies then I'd add Real Genius.

Feynman fans would like "Infinity." It's more about Feynman than about physics, but it does have some episodes from "Surely your Joking." It does hane more physics than "October sky."

Oh, the movie stars Matthew Broderick; it's also his directing debut.

'The Arrow' for both a touch of aeronautical engineering and a lot of history.
My favourite 'Charly'.
I can't remember the name of it, but there's a really good one out there detailing the Los Alamos project. I think it might have been a 2-part miniseries.

zoobyshoe said:
The Dish (Never heard of this one, so I looked it up):

Australia's involvement with the 1969 Apollo moon mission arrived with an unexpected wallop when its radio telescope in rural Parkes was elevated fron the Southern Hemishpere's backup broadcaster to primary broadcaster of Neil Armstrong's "one giant leap for mankind'. It is a modern wonder that the ten-year-old multibillion-dollar program became solely reliant on an untested crew based in a sheep paddock to capture this priceless moment in history."

DVD & Video Guide, Martin & Porter, 2004
This movie is a hoot. It actually makes my fun list too.

TV science shows:

House
Numbers

Danger said:
'The Arrow' for both a touch of aeronautical engineering and a lot of history.
My favourite 'Charly'.
I can't remember the name of it, but there's a really good one out there detailing the Los Alamos project. I think it might have been a 2-part miniseries.

The Arrow...my Dad would be proud of you! That's coming from a huge Avro Arrow fan BTW.

The movie you may be thinking of is Fat Man and Little Boy.

forgot to add hawkings series on the history of the universe.

whereas space with sam neil is not the most information based material, there is something to be learned from everything, even mistakes and non-information-abstractly.

Ahhh what could be more enjoyable than a move about moon travel:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092546/

Aside from that I put my money on Real Genius, Project X, The Manhatten Project, and Re-Animator.

Good stuff.

The Cube
The Cube 2: HyperCube are both funny

FredGarvin said:
The Arrow...my Dad would be proud of you! That's coming from a huge Avro Arrow fan BTW.
I thought you were a Yank? I've never met one who ever heard of the Arrow, and the ones that I told about it called me a liar. As a lot of my friends here say, "Don't even get me started on the Arrow." We're all madder than a raped nun about that, and it's a mad that will never go away. June Callwood swears that she heard the unmistakeable sound of J75 engines leaving the base when the fleet was grounded. We still hold out hope that it was ditched in Lake Ontario and is just waiting for us to find it and put it back in the air. If you can get your hands on the Arrow movie, do so. It's a CBC production available on tape.
By the way, where the hell were you when we were trying to find out the weight of a JT9D in GP?

FredGarvin said:
That's the one! Good flick.

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:

Great movie! And I think Laura Dern is hot! Which is kind of weird since I really liked her dad, Bruce Dern, esp in Silent Running, which is worthy of mention.

Here is some older stuff with a few other notables:

Things to Come, based on the H.G Wells novel is a classic.

Metropolis, by Fritz Lang, is another classic

Mind Walk and the sequel My Dinner With Andre, send most scientists into seizures, followed immediately by coronary failure, and ending with their heads exploding, but it is a fun movie for philosophical types; especially with a few physicists in the room.

I thought Spielberg's Taken was great for a TV Sci-Fi mini-series [for entertainment only of course, with no real science]

Also from the ET genre, The day the Earth stood still.

Also from TV, the new Outer Limits has some very creative writing.

I also liked
THX 1138.
Westworld

oh gosh, there are many others but more later perhaps.

The best introductory physics series made for entertainment that I've ever seen is The Mechanical Universe series, put out by Cal Tech.

Ivan Seeking said:
Great movie! And I think Laura Dern is hot! Which is kind of weird since I really liked her dad, Bruce Dern, esp in Silent Running, which is worthy of mention.

Here is some older stuff with a few other notables:

Things to Come, based on the H.G Wells novel is a classic.

Metropolis, by Fritz Lang, is another classic

Mind Walk and the sequel My Dinner With Andre, send most scientists into seizures, followed immediately by coronary failure, and ending with their heads exploding, but it is a fun movie for philosophical types; especially with a few physicists in the room.

I thought Spielberg's Taken was great for a TV Sci-Fi mini-series [for entertainment only of course, with no real science]

Also from the ET genre, The day the Earth stood still.

Also from TV, the new Outer Limits has some very creative writing.

I also liked
THX 1138.
Westworld

oh gosh, there are many others but more later perhaps.

The best introductory physics series made for entertainment that I've ever seen is The Mechanical Universe series, put out by Cal Tech.

LOL---The outer limits. Your mentioning of this brought my favorite line of all time to the fore: "Your ignorance makes me ill and angry!"

Not only did the ignorance of humans make David Ill but it also angered him. Image that.

That is a classic line. Use that in a bar or at work or with your significant other when you are feeling squirrely.

Thanks for the giggle.

faust9 said:
LOL---The outer limits.

Was that from the new series? The old one was really hokey, but I think some of the new ones are pretty good for a TV series.

gravenewworld said:
The Cube
The Cube 2: HyperCube are both funny

and now "Cube 0" the prequil. Just came out a month ago or so.

I will also second
Contact
Good Will Hunting (although more of a drama than something that stretches your mind about math and science)
The Arrow (but it is 3 hours long)

Ivan, Silent Running is an old favorite. The Day the Earth Stood Still is a classic...klaatu barada nikto

Evo said:
Ivan, Silent Running is an old favorite. The Day the Earth Stood Still is a classic...klaatu barada nikto

No, no, it's 'klatu barada n<cough>' I guess that answered the question of 'What would happen if the hero forgot the secret password. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Ivan, Silent Running is an old favorite. The Day the Earth Stood Still is a classic...

Dern was so cool; a nerdy kind of cool. :cool:

klaatu barada nikto

Believe it or not, I saw this for the first time about a year ago.

Am I the only one who liked the new Outer Limits? :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm betting that most people haven't seen it. Some of the stories are really creative. I don't watch many movies anymore since I usually get the idea within the first half hour. So many ideas have been used so many times that they get easy to see coming. But OL came up with some good stuff. Not all episodes were great, or even good, but some were quite excellent.

Did anyone here watch Taken?

Ivan Seeking said:
Am I the only one who liked the new Outer Limits?
Are you kidding?! Alissa Milano naked! Of course I liked that show! I thought that this was supposed to be about scientifically accurate shows, so I haven't been counting pure fiction.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yup. It was really good.

The good science part sort of evaporated before the end of the first post. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
The good science part sort of evaporated before the end of the first post. :biggrin:
In that case, I must mention Barbarella. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Are you kidding?! Alissa Milano naked!

:rofl: I had to think about this...hmmm...which episode was that? OH, HER! YES!

one of my favourites is "dark star". check it out guys.

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: I had to think about this...hmmm...which episode was that?
I still get a little twitchy whenever I see a butterfly.

Ivan Seeking said:
Am I the only one who liked the new Outer Limits?
I have seen most of the new ones. You're right, they are creative.
Yeah, I saw the whole thing. Some parts were really good. but Spielberg being Spielberg couldn't get himself all the way over into how dark that series should have been, given the subject matter. I kept thinking Cronenberg would have been a better director.

Danger said:
In that case, I must mention Barbarella. :biggrin:

Start talking like that and I'll throw in Earth Girls are Easy! :rofl:

Hey, for anyone interested, I noticed one day the writer for I think three of the Original Twilight Zone episodes was Earl Hamner - the real John Boy Walton.