How can I use Trigonometric substitution to evaluate this integral?

In summary, the appropriate Trigonometric substitution for the given integral is x=\frac{7sec\theta}{2} and dx=\frac{7sec\theta tan\theta}{2}d\theta. After making the substitution, the integral simplifies to \frac{1}{8}\int\frac{sec^3\theta}{tan^2\theta}d\theta. Various methods can be used to integrate this expression, such as using partial fractions. Another approach is to rewrite it as \frac{cos \theta}{(1 - sin^2\theta) sin^2\theta} and make the substitution \frac{2x}{7}=\cosh t. This results in the final solution
Vadim
The question I'm working on is "use the appropriate Trigonometric substitution to evaluate the following integral: [tex]\int \frac{x^2}{(4x^2-49)^\frac{3}{2}}dx[/tex] " Now the first thing i did was make it so that it had a root in it by making it [tex]\int \frac{x^2}{(4x^2-49)(4x^2-49)^\frac{1}{2}}dx[/tex]
this then allows me to make the substitution of [tex]x=\frac{7sec\theta}{2}[/tex] and [tex]dx=\frac{7sec\theta tan\theta}{2}d\theta[/tex].

making the substitution i get [tex]\int\frac{(49)(sec^2\theta) * (7)(tan\theta) (sec\theta)}{(4)(2)(49)(tan^2\theta)(7)(tan\theta)}d\theta[/tex] which simplifies to [tex]\int\frac{(sec^2\theta)(tan\theta)(sec\theta)}{(8)(tan^3\theta)}d\theta = \frac{1}{8}\int\frac{sec^3\theta}{tan^2\theta}d\theta[/tex] from there I've tired all sorts of different things, messed around in all the ways i know to get it so that i can integrate, but i just don't know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vadim said:
[tex]\frac{1}{8}\int\frac{sec^3\theta}{tan^2\theta}d\theta[/tex]

I think this might help, but I think I still see some partial fractions in your future

[tex]\frac{sec^3\theta}{tan^2\theta} = \frac{sec \theta}{sin^2\theta} = \frac{cos \theta}{cos^2\theta sin^2\theta} = \frac{cos \theta}{(1 - sin^2\theta) sin^2\theta} [/tex]

Last edited:
[tex] I=\int \frac{x^{2}}{\left(4x^{2}-49\right)^{3/2}} \ dx [/tex] (1)

Write it like that

[tex] I=\frac{1}{49^{3/2}} \int\frac{x^{2}}{\left[\left(\frac{2x}{7}\right)^{2}-1\right]^{3/2}} \ dx [/tex] (2)

and make the sub

[tex] \frac{2x}{7}=\cosh t [/tex] (3)

under which the integration element behaves

[tex] 2\frac{dx}{7}=\sinh t \ dt [/tex] (4)

The transformed integral is

[tex] I=\frac{1}{7^{3}}\frac{7^{3}}{2^{3}}\int \coth^{2}t \ dt=\frac{1}{8}\left(\int \frac{\sinh^{2}t +1}{\sinh^{2}t} \ dt \right)=\frac{1}{8}\left(t-\coth t\right) +\mathcal{C} [/tex] (5)

Reverse the substitution #3.

Daniel.

1. What is a "Stuck again still trig sub"?

"Stuck again still trig sub" refers to a common problem encountered when using trigonometric substitution in calculus. It is when a student gets stuck or confused while solving a problem involving trigonometric substitution.

2. How can I avoid getting stuck again still trig sub?

To avoid getting stuck again still trig sub, it is important to have a solid understanding of trigonometric identities and their applications. Practice using trigonometric substitution in various problems and make sure you understand the steps involved.

3. What are some common mistakes made when using trigonometric substitution?

Some common mistakes when using trigonometric substitution include using the wrong trigonometric identity, forgetting to substitute back for the original variable, and making algebraic errors in the substitution process. It is important to double-check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

4. Are there any tips for mastering trigonometric substitution?

Some tips for mastering trigonometric substitution include memorizing common trigonometric identities, practicing regularly, and breaking down problems into smaller steps. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to get additional support and feedback.

5. Can I use trigonometric substitution in all calculus problems?

No, trigonometric substitution is only applicable in certain types of problems, particularly those involving integrals with square roots or the quadratic formula. It is important to carefully analyze a problem before deciding to use trigonometric substitution.