Calculating Lactose Intake with Lactaid Caplets

• Thread starter Ouabache
  • Start date
In summary, the lactase in the caplets is 3000 units and it is recommended to take three caplets before eating dairy products. The product literature states that there are 9000 units per serving. So, to digest the lactase in milk, the user would need to dissolve 3 caplets into 240ml of milk.
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I imagine this is an easy question about lactase, but I don't have any good reference materials to make a valid calculation.

At one time a commercial product of lactase (Lactaid) was formulated as liquid and could be added to dairy products (milk, cream) to digest the lactose. (use for lactose intolerant individuals)

Today this product (Lactaid) is apparently only available as a solid (caplets). Since the liquid form is not available, can we use the caplets in the same way? (dissolve directly into milk). Directions on Lactaid caplets say: take 3 caplets before eating dairy products, which does not apply to my question.

(a) If we knew the amount of lactase/caplet?
(b) and how much lactose is digested per amount of lactase?
(c) and how much lactose is present say per volume of milk?
Once the above is known, it would be straight forward calculation, how many caplets are needed per volume of milk.

The product literature states there are 9000 Units (FCC)/serving. Since there are 3 caplets/serving, I interpret this to mean, there are 3000 Units lactase per caplet.

Since Unit is an ambiguous term,
(d) what is Unit to milligram conversion?

I only have a partial answer to (a) 3000 Units. I have researched the web looking for answers to the other questions and found some possibilities but cannot verify them. I wished to compare with someone familiar with this enzymatic action.
Thanks in advance, for your help.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
(c)how much lactose is present say per volume of milk?
Just verified answer to (c)
On composition label for a gallon of skim milk, it states 12gm sugar/serving. (serving = 1 cup=240ml) so lactose in milk is 50gm/L

This is also consistent with information I found earlier in web published http://www.funhouse.com/babs/lactose.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
Any biochemistry folks know where I may find out how much lactose (gms) is digested per amount (gms) of lactase?

(I have learned that lactase or any enzyme for that matter, is not consumed in the process, but released and may subsequently work on additional molecules of lactose, so there is some rate of conversion over time. And this rate is temperature dependant).

1. How do Lactaid Caplets work to help with lactose intake?

Lactaid Caplets contain an enzyme called lactase, which helps break down lactose in dairy products. People who have lactose intolerance do not produce enough lactase, so taking Lactaid Caplets before consuming dairy can help prevent uncomfortable symptoms.

2. How do I calculate the amount of Lactaid Caplets I need for a specific amount of lactose?

The recommended dosage for Lactaid Caplets is one or two caplets per serving of dairy. The amount of lactose in each serving of dairy can vary, but a general rule of thumb is to take one caplet for every 12 grams of lactose. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized dosing recommendations.

3. Can I take Lactaid Caplets with every meal or snack that contains dairy?

Yes, Lactaid Caplets can be taken with every meal or snack that contains dairy. However, it is important to follow the recommended dosage and not exceed the maximum daily dosage of 12 caplets. If you are unsure about how much lactose is in a specific food, it is best to err on the side of caution and take a caplet just in case.

4. How long does it take for Lactaid Caplets to start working?

Lactaid Caplets start working immediately upon ingestion. They should be taken right before consuming dairy, as the lactase enzyme needs to be present in the digestive tract before dairy is consumed.

5. Are there any side effects from taking Lactaid Caplets?

In general, Lactaid Caplets are well-tolerated and do not have any major side effects. However, some people may experience minor side effects such as gas, bloating, or diarrhea. If you experience any severe or persistent side effects, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional.