Anomalous, extraordinary, or otherwise interesting conscious experiences

• Medical
  • Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation is about unusual phenomena in conscious experience and the participants are sharing their own personal accounts of such experiences. The experiences can range from auditory hallucinations during a hypnagogic state, to spontaneous inner voices, to hearing music in a sensory deprivation tank. They discuss the details and potential causes of these experiences, and one participant even shares a similar experience with hearing familiar music.
http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/06/3-students-die-after-being-hypnotized-by-principal/

Three Florida high school students are dead after being hypnotized by their school principal in Sarasota County, one in a car accident and two by suicide. Principal George Kenney is believed to have hypnotized up to 75 people, including students, members of the school staff and their children. Sarasota County School District officials repeatedly warned Kenney to stop the practice, which the principal insists was only done in the interest of helping students to be motivated and focused on school work and sports.

Can this be cause and effect, or is it mere coincidence?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Dotini said:
http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/06/3-students-die-after-being-hypnotized-by-principal/

Three Florida high school students are dead after being hypnotized by their school principal in Sarasota County, one in a car accident and two by suicide. Principal George Kenney is believed to have hypnotized up to 75 people, including students, members of the school staff and their children. Sarasota County School District officials repeatedly warned Kenney to stop the practice, which the principal insists was only done in the interest of helping students to be motivated and focused on school work and sports.

Can this be cause and effect, or is it mere coincidence?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve
Don't know. It's certainly an interesting story. But, this thread is for people to post their own personal experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming home from spring break several years ago, My friend and I were in a serious fight, and i didn't trust him to drive. Having had no sleep the night before, I had to drive all the way from Panama City Beach Florida to New Jersey. On the drive, I had auditory hallucinations, imagining that i could hear the discussions of people in the other cars. It sounded like I was hearing people talk about the spring break experiences. There was this split in my mind. I 100 percent KNEW that these were auditory hallucinations from sleep deprivation. Yet I BELIEVED that i was actually hearing these conversations, that the sleep deprivation had somehow unlocked a circuit in my mind that was acting like a radio. It gave me a window into what schizophrenia must be like. I could imagine how, if this continued to go on all the time, what my brain was telling me to believe could overwhelm my rational thought process, or I could lose the distinction between the two.

EDIT: And if it sounds like a bad idea to drive on such little sleep, it is, but under the circumstances, there wasn't much I could do.