I cant figure out these questions.HELP

• Thread starter potential thinker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a horizontal force of 150N pushing a 40kg bag a distance of 6.00m on a rough horizontal surface. The question is how to find the work done by the force and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which can be found using the formula F * d = m/2(v_{f}^2 - v_{i}^2). The coefficient of kinetic friction can be found using the formula F = \mu_{k}*mg, where \mu_{k} is the coefficient of kinetic friction and F is the force applied. It is also mentioned that LaTeX can be used to generate symbols and equations
potential thinker
I can't figure out these questions...HELP!

1. A horizontal force of 150N is used to push a 40kg bag a distance of 6.00m on a rough horizontal surface. If the crate moves with constant velocity:
a. what is the work done by the force
b. what is the coefficient of kinetic friction

How do i start this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a repeat answer since the symbols didn't come out correctly ...

The Work Done = Change in Kinetic Energy, which means that:

[tex]F * d = m/2(v_{f}^2 - v_{i}^2)[/tex],where,
[tex]v_{i}[/tex] & [tex]v_{f}[/tex] are the initial and final velocities respectively and [tex]F[/tex] is the force and [tex]d[/tex] is the displacement. In your case the initial velocity is zero, hence the work done is directly equal to the kinetic energy.

From this you can find the velocity of the object.

As for your question the work done is directly the Force * distance that the force has pushed the object to.

Kinetic Friction is basically the friction that is exerted by the surface on a body that is moving. Thus the Kinetic Frictional force = [tex]F = \mu_{k}*mg [/tex], where [tex]\mu_{k}[/tex] is the coefficient of kinetic friction and [tex]F[/tex] is the force applied.This is done as the frictional force always acts in a way to oppose motion. Hence the magnitude of the frictional force = magnitude of the applied force.

Sridhar

hey sridhar what is [tex]?
thanks for the help

tex is basically the latex tag that is used to begin typing latex commands that can be used to generate symbols like I have in my 2nd answer. I screwed up on the tags in the previous answer, so I have corrected them in my second Just click on one of those tags to see how the symbols are got(Those Huge black formulae...jus click on one of them...go ahead)

u can use latex here to type something like this:

[tex]\sin^2\Phi+\cos^2\Phi = 1[/tex]

Just click on the Huge Black Formula above to see the Latex code.

Sridhar

You can also do something like this using Latex:

[tex]\int_{0}^\infty f(x)\partial x[/tex]

or something like:

[tex]\sum (n) = n(n+1)/2[/tex]

So as you see the display beomes more organised wit latex. Yet the time taken to type an answer using latex is enormous..

Sridhar

srihar_n
A hint for you, there is a edit button at the bottom of each message, if you wrote it, you can edit it! :smile:

Originally posted by potential thinker
a. what is the work done by the force
b. what is the coefficient of kinetic friction
For part a, consider the definition of work.
For part b, consider what the force of friction must equal since the crate has a constant velocity.

What are some tips for approaching difficult questions in science?

1. Break the question down into smaller parts: Sometimes, a complex question can seem overwhelming. Try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts to make it easier to understand and solve.

2. Look for clues in the question: Often, questions will provide hints or keywords that can guide you towards the answer. Pay attention to these cues and use them to help you solve the problem.

3. Use available resources: Don't be afraid to consult textbooks, notes, or online resources for assistance. They can provide valuable information and guidance as you work through the question.

4. Practice, practice, practice: The more you practice solving challenging questions, the better you will become at it. Make it a habit to regularly challenge yourself with difficult questions to improve your problem-solving skills.

5. Seek help when needed: If you are truly stuck on a question, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, peer, or tutor. They can offer a fresh perspective and help guide you towards the solution.

Why is it important to be able to figure out difficult questions in science?

Solving difficult questions in science is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many aspects of life. It also allows us to better understand and apply scientific concepts, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to figure out difficult questions in science?

1. Not fully understanding the question: Make sure you thoroughly understand what the question is asking before attempting to answer it. Misinterpreting the question can lead to incorrect answers.

2. Skipping steps: It's important to follow a logical and systematic approach when solving difficult questions. Skipping steps or rushing through the process can lead to errors.

3. Not checking your work: Always double-check your answer to make sure it makes sense and is supported by the information provided in the question. This can help catch any mistakes you may have made.

4. Not using all available information: Some difficult questions may require you to use multiple equations or concepts. Make sure you use all the information provided to solve the problem.

5. Giving up too quickly: It's natural to feel frustrated when faced with a difficult question, but don't give up. Take a break if needed, but come back to the question and try different approaches until you find the solution.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in science?

1. Practice regularly: The more you practice solving problems in science, the better you will become at it. Look for challenging questions and make it a habit to regularly challenge yourself.

2. Review your mistakes: When you make a mistake, take the time to understand where you went wrong and how you can avoid similar mistakes in the future. This can help you improve your problem-solving skills.

3. Work with others: Collaborating with peers or seeking help from teachers or tutors can provide new perspectives and help you improve your problem-solving approach.

4. Use different methods: Don't rely on one specific method to solve all problems. Experiment with different problem-solving approaches to find what works best for you.

5. Keep an open mind: When faced with a difficult question, don't be afraid to think outside the box and consider alternative solutions. This can help improve your problem-solving skills and lead to more creative solutions.