Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime?

In summary, Einstein's field equations may provide the answer to your question, but it's complicated and requires a lot of energy. It's possible that two very distant points in spacetime could be "folded" together, resulting in a wormhole. However, traversing the wormhole might be dangerous and it might not be possible to use it as a time machine.
TromboneNerd
I know that folding spacetime is completely possible, and I'm pretty sure that the answer I'm looking for is in Einstein's field equations. I just don't know enough about tensor calculus (yet) to figure this out for myself. So my question: how much energy is required to completely fold a certain portion of spacetime? for example, how much energy would be required to fold enough spacetime to travel 1 lightyear. I know cosmic strings have quite a bit of energy, and that if two cross just right we think that they will have enough energy to fold spacetime completely. If the answer is really in the field equations, could someone please go step by step? like i said, I am not that familiar with tensor calculus yet but this question is really starting to bug me.

Likes John c.
Physics news on Phys.org
TromboneNerd said:
I know that folding spacetime is completely possible,

Where did you read this? What kind of folding are you talking about?

By folding i mean manipulating spacetime to the point where two separate points in spacetime that are very far away, become very. picture a very long thin object with a huge amount of mass. it would bend spacetime to look like a "V" if you were looking perpendicular to the third spatial dimension. now, i want to fold it completely. making a "()" shape. this is one of the few ways we know to theoretically travel through time and teleport ect. By doing this, we are essentially bypassing all of the folded space. My question is, how much pure energy would be required, because it takes a lot more energy to manipulate spacetime than it does for mass.

You might want to start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

If you look at the embedding diagram, you'll see two types of curvature: there's (1) the curvature of the cylindrical "fold" on the left, and (2) the curvature of the hourglass-shaped region connecting the top and bottom sheets. The type-1 curvature is extrinsic curvature, i.e., it doesn't really exist; it only seems to exist because of the way we draw the embedding diagram. So the literal answer to your question is zero.

But the type-2 curvature is intrinsic, i.e., it really has detectable consequences. Googling shows people tossing around estimates of the energy involved that come out pretty stupendous, like an amount equal to all the energy our sun has ever produced.

Another issue is that as far as anyone can tell, you need some exotic matter (matter with negative energy density) to stabilize the wormhole. As far as we know, that doesn't exist.

Another issue is that objects traversing the wormhole might actually be destroyed by the intense radiation inside.

If a wormhole did exist, it would also automatically be possible to use it as a time machine, so it would violate causality. There's a good discussion of this in the final chapter of Black Holes and Time Warps, by Thorne.

1. What is the concept of Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime?

The concept of Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime is based on the theory of general relativity, which suggests that the presence of matter and energy can cause spacetime to warp and curve. In order to create a fold or bend in spacetime, a significant amount of energy is needed.

2. How is the Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime calculated?

The exact calculation of the Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime is a complex and ongoing area of research. However, it is generally understood that the amount of energy required is directly proportional to the amount of mass or matter present. This means that the more massive an object is, the more energy would be needed to create a fold in spacetime around it.

3. Is it possible for humans to create the Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime?

At our current level of technology, it is not possible for humans to create the amount of energy needed to fold spacetime. The energy required is immense and far beyond our current capabilities. However, some theories suggest that advanced civilizations or technologies may one day possess the ability to manipulate spacetime in this way.

4. What would happen if the Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime was suddenly released?

If the Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime was suddenly released, it would likely have catastrophic effects on the surrounding environment. The intense warping of spacetime could create gravitational waves, cause disruptions in the fabric of space, and potentially even create a black hole.

5. Can the Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime be harnessed for practical purposes?

Currently, there are no known ways to harness the Energy Needed to Fold Spacetime for practical purposes. However, there is ongoing research into the potential applications of this concept, such as creating wormholes for faster-than-light travel or manipulating spacetime for advanced propulsion systems.