Increasing/decreasing sequences

• Thread starter cue928
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary: So, for future reference, there are often multiple ways of approaching a problem, and it's good to know as many as possible.In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches for determining if the given sequence is increasing or decreasing. One approach involves rewriting the expression in a different form using properties of exponents, while another approach involves taking the derivative of a function. It is also mentioned that there are often multiple ways to approach a problem.
cue928
I have been asked to find if the following sequence is increasing or decreasing:
an = ne^-n

So I first multiplied thru by e^n to get: n/e^n
Then, I did n+1, so (n+1)*e^-(n+1). I moved the negative exponent to the bottom to get
(n+1)/(e^(n+1))

I guess my first question is did I start off correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, so the question is, which of the following two holds:

[tex]\frac{n}{e^n}\leq \frac{n+1}{e^{n+1}}~\text{or}~\frac{n}{e^n}\geq \frac{n+1}{e^{n+1}}[/tex]

Try to simplify these expressions...

cue928 said:
I have been asked to find if the following sequence is increasing or decreasing:
an = ne^-n

So I first multiplied thru by e^n to get: n/e^n
What you have is equal to ne-n, but you didn't get it by multiplying by en, which would have been wrong to do.

e-n is equal to 1/en. What you did was rewrite the original expression in different form, using a property of exponents.
cue928 said:
Then, I did n+1, so (n+1)*e^-(n+1). I moved the negative exponent to the bottom to get
(n+1)/(e^(n+1))
?
You're working with an expression, ne-n. Unlike an equation, there are only a few things you can do with an equation. The only number you can add to an expression is 0 - otherwise you will change the value of the expression. The only number you can multiply by is 1 - which can take many forms, but it's still 1. If you multiply by something other than 1, you will get a new expression that is not equal to the one you started with.

So in particular, you can't just multiply by n + 1, and you can't just decide to change the exponent from -n to -(n + 1). Those are not valid operations here.
cue928 said:
I guess my first question is did I start off correctly.

I don't know if you are allowed to do this, but the standard way is to take the derivative of f(x)=xe-x and show that it's negative for x>1, thus is a decreasing function on that interval. Since an=f(n), this gives that the sequence is decreasing.

Maxter said:
I don't know if you are allowed to do this, but the standard way is to take the derivative of f(x)=xe-x and show that it's negative for x>1, thus is a decreasing function on that interval. Since an=f(n), this gives that the sequence is decreasing.
This is one way. micromass is showing another way that more directly shows that the sequence is decreasing.

Mark44 said:
This is one way. micromass is showing another way that more directly shows that the sequence is decreasing.

Right, which means you have to start with one side, and work to the other. It's not clear how to do that directly. Technically, you cannot start with either of those assumptions and simplify, though doing that might give you a hint with how to work in a more direct manner.

Maxter said:
Right, which means you have to start with one side, and work to the other. It's not clear how to do that directly. Technically, you cannot start with either of those assumptions and simplify, though doing that might give you a hint with how to work in a more direct manner.

In this particular case, my approach is not that hard. Just bring the n+1 and the en to the other side, and you'll see something nice popping up!

I do agree that your approach would be best in almost every other case, as derivatives are quite easy to handle :smile: In fact, I would have mentioned the derivative thingy, but I forgot about it :frown:

Maxter said:
Right, which means you have to start with one side, and work to the other.
Not necessarily.
You can start with this expression,
[tex]\frac{n}{e^n} - \frac{n+1}{e^{n+1}}[/tex]
and show that it is positive. That shows that an > an+ 1, or equivalently, that the sequence is decreasing.
Maxter said:
It's not clear how to do that directly. Technically, you cannot start with either of those assumptions and simplify, though doing that might give you a hint with how to work in a more direct manner.

Mark44 said:
Not necessarily.
You can start with this expression,
[tex]\frac{n}{e^n} - \frac{n+1}{e^{n+1}}[/tex]
and show that it is positive. That shows that an > an+ 1, or equivalently, that the sequence is decreasing.

RIGHT, forgot about doing that. Thanks!

micromass said:
In this particular case, my approach is not that hard. Just bring the n+1 and the en to the other side, and you'll see something nice popping up!

I do agree that your approach would be best in almost every other case, as derivatives are quite easy to handle :smile: In fact, I would have mentioned the derivative thingy, but I forgot about it :frown:

And I forgot about the subtraction technique!

1. What is an increasing sequence?

An increasing sequence is a list of numbers that are arranged in ascending order. This means that each number in the sequence is larger than the previous one.

2. How can you determine if a sequence is increasing or decreasing?

To determine if a sequence is increasing or decreasing, you can look at the difference between each consecutive number. If the difference is positive, the sequence is increasing. If the difference is negative, the sequence is decreasing.

3. What are some applications of increasing/decreasing sequences?

Increasing and decreasing sequences have many practical applications in fields such as economics, statistics, and computer science. They can be used to model patterns and trends in data, make predictions, and solve optimization problems.

4. Can a sequence be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a sequence cannot be both increasing and decreasing. It can only be one or the other, depending on the order of the numbers in the sequence.

5. How can you find the rate of change for an increasing or decreasing sequence?

The rate of change for an increasing or decreasing sequence can be found by calculating the difference between two consecutive numbers and dividing it by the number of terms between them. This will give you the average rate of change for the sequence.