University-Level Physics Video Lectures: Pre-Med Students Suggestions

In summary, for pre-med students interested in studying Physics through university-level video lectures, some suggested sources are Walter Lewin, Ramamurti Shankar, Khan Academy, and Stanford video lectures by Leonard Susskind. These lectures cover topics such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and cosmology. It is recommended to also practice problems from a textbook for better understanding.
slax
If some pre-med students want to study Physics by watching university-level video lectures on Physics-1 (Classical Mechanics) and Physics-2 (Electricity & Magnetism), what site would you suggest to them? (They already know of Walter Lewin, Ramamurti Shankar and Khan Academy). Can you suggest any other good universities with video lectures for physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try with Stanford video lectures. You can find these lectures on youtube, write Leonard Susskind (the professor) lecture number "n" . You'll find lectures on classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, cosmology and so on...:smile:

slax said:
If some pre-med students want to study Physics by watching university-level video lectures on Physics-1 (Classical Mechanics) and Physics-2 (Electricity & Magnetism), what site would you suggest to them? (They already know of Walter Lewin, Ramamurti Shankar and Khan Academy). Can you suggest any other good universities with video lectures for physics?

At that level you won't be able to find anything better. If you already watched those lectures you should just do problems from a textbook.Watching any more lectures won't help you much.

Andrea2 said:
You can try with Stanford video lectures. You can find these lectures on youtube, write Leonard Susskind (the professor) lecture number "n" . You'll find lectures on classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, cosmology and so on...:smile:

Thanks. I see many lectures by Leonard Susskind. What do you mean by lecture number "n" - can't find those - do you have a link?

I would suggest that pre-med students interested in studying Physics through video lectures should explore the resources available on OpenCourseWare platforms such as MIT OpenCourseWare, Harvard Open Learning Initiative, and Coursera. These platforms offer a wide range of university-level physics courses from top institutions around the world, including MIT, Stanford, and Caltech.

Some specific recommendations for pre-med students looking to study Classical Mechanics and Electricity & Magnetism would be:

- MIT OpenCourseWare: For Classical Mechanics, I would recommend the course "Classical Mechanics" by Professor Peter Dourmashkin, which covers topics such as Newton's Laws, conservation of energy and momentum, and rotational dynamics. For Electricity & Magnetism, I would suggest the course "Electricity and Magnetism" by Professor Walter Lewin, which covers topics such as electric fields, magnetic fields, and electromagnetic waves.

- Harvard Open Learning Initiative: For Classical Mechanics, I would recommend the course "Mechanics and Motion" by Professor David Morin, which covers topics such as kinematics, forces, and energy. For Electricity & Magnetism, I would suggest the course "Electricity and Magnetism" by Professor Eric Mazur, which covers topics such as electric fields, magnetic fields, and circuits.

- Coursera: For Classical Mechanics, I would recommend the course "Classical Mechanics" by Professor Leonard Susskind from Stanford University, which covers topics such as Newton's Laws, conservation laws, and oscillations. For Electricity & Magnetism, I would suggest the course "Electricity & Magnetism" by Professor Ramamurti Shankar from Yale University, which covers topics such as electric fields, magnetic fields, and Maxwell's equations.

In addition to these resources, I would also suggest checking out the physics departments of other top universities, such as Caltech, Princeton, and Oxford, as they may also have video lectures available for these topics. It is important to keep in mind that while video lectures can be a valuable resource for learning, it is also crucial to supplement them with hands-on laboratory work and problem-solving practice to fully grasp the concepts of physics.

1. What is the purpose of university-level physics video lectures for pre-med students?

The purpose of these video lectures is to provide pre-med students with a solid foundation in physics concepts that are necessary for success in medical school and future medical practice.

2. How can these video lectures be accessed?

These video lectures can typically be accessed through the university's online learning platform, such as Blackboard or Canvas. Some universities may also provide access through their own websites or through online learning platforms like Coursera or edX.

3. Are these video lectures suitable for students with no background in physics?

Yes, these video lectures are designed for pre-med students who may have little or no background in physics. The lectures will cover all the necessary concepts and provide explanations and examples to help students understand the material.

4. How can I get the most out of these video lectures?

To get the most out of these video lectures, it is important to watch them actively, take notes, and participate in any accompanying discussion forums or activities. It is also helpful to review the material regularly and do practice problems to reinforce understanding.

5. Can these video lectures be used as a substitute for a traditional physics course?

No, these video lectures should not be used as a substitute for a traditional physics course. They are meant to supplement and enhance a student's understanding of physics, but they do not provide the same level of hands-on experience and interaction with a professor that a traditional course would offer.