Something I don't understand in Circuit

• Thread starter Genericcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, in a parallel circuit, each resistor has the same voltage, and the current is equal across the resistors. In a series circuit, the current through each resistor is different, and the voltage across the resistors is the sum of the voltages across the resistors.
Genericcoder
Hi guys,

Their is something I don't completely understand regards to parrallel/series circuits.

We know that the resistance can be calculated as follows in series:-

Since they total voltage is the sum of the voltage components:-

V = V1 + V2 + V3;
IR = IR1 + IR2 + IR3;
R = R1 + R2 + R3;

In Parrallel circuits it can be calculated as follows:-

I = I1 + I2 + I3;
V/R = V/R1 + V/R2 + V/R3;
1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3;

What I don't understand is can we also use second formula(the one of parrallel circuits) to calculate in series,because we know that current don't accumulate(conserved),so the I starting before going into any resistor that I should be the one as one that comes out of last resistor.

So the in series then would be same equation as parallel circuit would that makes sense or did I miss something here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, for a series circuit, it would be

I = I1 = I2 = I3

because the current must be the same everywhere in the loop.

If the current was larger at some point in the loop than at another point, then you'd get a pile up of charge that would in turn lead to an emf that would in turn tend to smooth out the charge distribution.

Sorry for late reply had no internet,but if I1 = I2 = I3 wouldn't that have same form as parrallel circuits which would be

I = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc coz all current that is going out of certain junction is same as current going?

Genericcoder said:
Sorry for late reply had no internet,but if I1 = I2 = I3 wouldn't that have same form as parrallel circuits which would be

I = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc coz all current that is going out of certain junction is same as current going?

Hi Genericcoder,

The two situations are actually quite different. In the parallel case, each resistor is connected directly across the voltage source. As a result, the voltage across each resistor is the same, and is equal to the source voltage. In contrast, the current in each resistor is different, and depends on the particular resistance value, in accordance with Ohm's law. However, the sum of the currents through all the resistors must be equal to the total current provided by the source. As a result, for the parallel case, we have:

parallel case:

V = V1 = V2 = V3

I = I1 + I2 + I3

In the series case, we have the exact opposite situation for voltages and currents. The voltages across the resistors are all different, but they must add up to the voltage of the source, since the series combination of them is connected across the source. The current in all three resistors is the same, since they are all part of a closed loop. Therefore:

series case:

V = V1 + V2 + V3

I = I1 = I2 = I3

You see by looking at the equations for the two cases, how they different, right?

Let's compute the effective resistance "R" for the parallel case. It must be true that I = V/R. However, due to Ohm's law, this relation must be true for each resistor as well:

I1 = V1/R1

I2 = V2/R2

I3 = V3/R3

And since I1 + I2 + I3 = I, it follows that:

V/R = V1/R1 + V2/R2 + V3/R3

Remembering that all voltages are the same, we end up with:

V/R = V/R1 + V/R1 + V/R3

Divide both sides by V:

1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3

For the series case, it also must be true that I = V/R. However, it happens to be more useful to express this as V = IR in this case. Ohm's law also holds true for every individual resistor so that:

V1 = I1R1
V2 = I2R2
V3 = I3R3

Now, since the voltages have to add up to the total voltage, it must be true that

IR = I1R1 + I2R1 + I3R3

Now, since the current is the same everywhere, this becomes:

IR = IR1 + IR2 + IR3

R = R1 + R2 + R3.

So you see how the difference above led to different results. In the parallel case, all the voltages were the same, and it was the currents that had to add up to the total current. In the series case, all the currents were the same, and it was the voltages that had to add up to the total voltage.

Make sense?

Yes that makes perfect sense.
Thanks alot.

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electric current can flow. It is made up of various components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and voltage sources.

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches. This means that in a series circuit, the same current flows through each component, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the branches.

3. How does a resistor affect a circuit?

A resistor is a component that resists the flow of electric current. It is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit and reduce the voltage. The higher the resistance, the lower the current flow.

4. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

A capacitor is a component that stores electrical charge. It is used to regulate the flow of current, filter out noise, and stabilize the voltage in a circuit. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic devices to store energy and provide a temporary power supply during power interruptions.

5. How does a diode work in a circuit?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It acts as a one-way valve for electric current, preventing it from flowing in the opposite direction. This is useful in circuits that require current to flow in a specific direction, such as rectifiers and voltage regulators.