Register to reply

Encode information to DNA

by FMEncodeDNA
Tags: encode, information
Share this thread:
FMEncodeDNA
May25-14, 09:19 AM
P: 2
DNA Is a Structure That Encodes Biological Information.
As you know recently DNA is used to encode digital information. (i.e. translate binary (0,1) to DNA(A,T,C,G)).
This is very new knowledge.
Is there any good reference or tutorial book that trains how to encode information to DNA and decode them to original information?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Sea star disease strikes peninsula marine centers
How sweet it is: New tool for characterizing plant sugar transporters
The right amount of grazing builds diverse forest ecosystems
Ygggdrasil
May25-14, 11:50 AM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,378
You may be interested in reading the following paper: Church, Gao & Kosuri. 2012 Next-Generation Digital Information Storage in DNA. Science 337: 1628. doi:10.1126/science.1226355
Abstract:Digital information is accumulating at an astounding rate, straining our ability to store and archive it. DNA is among the most dense and stable information media known. The development of new technologies in both DNA synthesis and sequencing make DNA an increasingly feasible digital storage medium. We developed a strategy to encode arbitrary digital information in DNA, wrote a 5.27-megabit book using DNA microchips, and read the book by using next-generation DNA sequencing.
FMEncodeDNA
May27-14, 05:02 AM
P: 2
Thanks for replying. I’ll read it.
Do you think If I want to study in this field should I pass long-term of bachelor in biology (all 3 years)? Or just pass some courses of molecular biology and biochemistry is enough?

abitslow
May28-14, 09:54 AM
P: 140
Encode information to DNA

I don't know what "some courses" means - do you?
If you mean study "as a professional" then you should think about either becoming an entrepreneur (if you can't hack the university setting) or a PhD. Whether the PhD is in Computer Science, Microbiology, or Bioinformatics depends on you.
Ygggdrasil
May28-14, 12:27 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,378
If you're mainly interested in just writing and reading information in DNA, you'd only need to a few advanced classes in molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or related fields to understand what's going on. Even someone with a degree in chemistry but no formal training in biology should probably be able to understand the topic well enough. Formal training in biology becomes more necessary when you want to figure out how biological systems are working, but is not so necessary if you're just looking to use biological molecules as tools.

Register to reply