Register to reply

Alternative to a PC and Laptop for notetaking/websurfing?

by christian0710
Tags: alternative, laptop
Share this thread:
christian0710
Jun6-14, 07:23 AM
P: 209
Hi, When Im studying for long hours and taking notes on my 24 IPS-panel, power-consuming PC-screen I often feel like my eyes dry out fast and sometimes my body feels ill. This happens much faster than if I read my chemistry/science books without my computer turned on. However I need something for taking notes digitally.

What Am I looking for?
A smaller all-in-one-screen like an ipad (or a bit bigger) which is handy, and can be used only for searching words and explanations online and taking notes in a program like Office words. So I want it to start up fast if I need to look up words, and then I want to be able to turn it off after I looked up the word so I can continue reading my book. A good attachable keyboard and mouse would is also required for the machine.

Can someone help me find this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Simon Bridge
Jun6-14, 11:09 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,463
Some sort of tablet ... I've seen people make great portable use of galaxy note.
I've used an Asus Transformer so I can type longer missives without the keyboard hogging the screen.
Some tablets can be loaded with a gruntier, more full-featured OS than Android too.

You'll struggle to find just the right balance of functionality and UI - go to a store and try stuff out.
I'd just say: avoid Apple.

note: there are ways to adjust your desktop or laptop screen for easier reading and use so it doesn't tire out your eyes so much.
B. Elliott
Jun8-14, 08:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 397
I'd have to second the Galaxy Note series.

I have both a 1st and 2nd gen iPad along with a Note 3. A good friend has a Note 10.1 and lets me play with it from time to time. Awesome product. I use the S Pen on my Note 3 quite a bit.

robphy
Jun19-14, 12:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,119
Alternative to a PC and Laptop for notetaking/websurfing?

Check out the XE700T1A (win7) and XE700T1C (win8) Core-i5-based tabletPCs from Samsung
http://www.samsung.com/us/business/c...et-pcs/explore

looks like a deal on the older
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/XE700T1A-A05US
skills4u
Jul14-14, 10:45 PM
P: 8
christian0710 First there is a problem if your screen is making you ill ! Most likely your screen is too bright causing your eyes to squint. You need to adjust the brightness according to the light around you, a bright screen in a low lit area is bad for your eyes.

2nd. I came across this today that might interest you.
Microsoft is aiming straight for Google’s Chromebooks this holiday season. At the company’s partner conference today, Microsoft COO Kevin Turner revealed that HP is planning to release a $199 laptop running Windows for the holidays. Turner didn’t provide specifications for HP’s "Stream" device, but he did detail $249 laptop options from Acer and Toshiba. Acer’s low-cost laptop will ship with a 15.6-inch screen and a 2.16GHz Intel Celeron processor, and Toshiba’s includes a 11.6-inch display. It appears that Intel’s Celeron chips will help Microsoft’s PC partners push out cheaper devices in the race to the bottom
Turner also revealed that HP is planning to release 7- and 8-inch versions of its new "Stream" PCs for $99 this holiday season, both running versions of Windows

Register to reply