Can You Prove the Sum of Cubes Equals the Square of the Sum?

• Thread starter dleacock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in the Dover Series book on Number Theory and how to prove the equation 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + n^3 = (1 + 2 + 3...)^2 using mathematical induction. The conversation also includes tips and clarification on how to approach the problem.
dleacock
hey everyone,
I recently bought the the Dover Series book on Number Theory, and the 2nd example on page 5 asks your to prove
[tex]1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + n^3 = (1 + 2 + 3...)^2 [/tex]

Now, we've already proved that [tex]S_n = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

So here's how I proved it...
[tex]
(S_n)^2 = (\frac{n(n+1)}{2})^2 [/tex]

before we proved how [tex] S_k+1 = S_k + (k + 1) [/tex]

Which lead me to...
[tex] \frac{1}(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2{4} + (k+1)^2 [/tex]
[tex] = \sqrt{\frac{(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2}{4} + (k+1)^2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{(k+1)((k+1)+1)}{2} + (k+1) [/tex]
therefor...
[tex] S_k+1 = Sk + (k+1) [/tex]

Now I'm worried that I didnt really solve anything. I'm totally knew at this, and I'm open to criticism and help, just be kind :)
(ps.. this is my first time posting formulas, hopefully I did it right)

Thanks
dleacock

Physics news on Phys.org
just a repost to clean up the math...[tex] \frac{1}{4}(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2 + (k+1)^2 [/tex]

I don't own the book, but I looked at the pages on amazon, and it looks like you want to prove it using mathematical induction. This usually works in this way.

Proof:
Base Step (here, it will be n = 1)

Inductive Step Assume it is true for some k, and then show that it is true for k+1.
QED.Now you don't have to use induction, but it is what I think they want you to use. So first you should prove that the statement is true for n = 1, or k = 1. Meaning that if you plug 1 into the formula you will get the same thing, which is true.
[tex]1^3 = (1)^2[/tex]
[tex]=> 1 = 1[/tex]

So then do the inductive hypothesis.

You would say that the statement is true for some k, then show that it is true for k + 1.

This would mean that you would want to show that:

[tex]1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + k^3 + (k+1)^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + k + (k+1) )^2 [/tex]
Using the fact that the statement is true for k.

Meaning, prove the previous statement with the fact that: [tex]1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + k^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + k)^2 [/tex]

--------

dleacock said:
just a repost to clean up the math...[tex] \frac{1}{4}(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2 + (k+1)^2 [/tex]

I am not sure what you were doing here. But you can't just take the square root of something out of nowhere, also [tex]\sqrt{ a^2 + b^2 } \neq a + b[/tex] except in a few cases, so that is not allowed.

Last edited:
yeah, that's exactly what I thouhgt the problem was. I just squared it out of nowhere. oh well, back to work I go. thanks for the response and the tip!

mattmns said:
You would say that the statement is true for some k, then show that it is true for k + 1.

This would mean that you would want to show that:

[tex]1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + k^3 + (k+1)^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + k + (k+1) )^2 [/tex]
Using the fact that the statement is true for k.

Meaning, prove the previous statement with the fact that: [tex]1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + k^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + k)^2 [/tex]

--------
In other words show, [tex]k^{2}(k+1)^{2} - k^{2}(k-1)^{2} = 4k^{3}[/tex]

1. What is a proof in science?

A proof in science is a logical and systematic demonstration of a hypothesis or theory. It involves using evidence, experiments, and reasoning to support a claim or idea.

2. How do you know if your proof is valid?

A valid proof in science should be based on reliable and verifiable evidence, follow logical reasoning, and be replicable by others. It should also be consistent with established scientific principles and theories.

3. What are the key components of a proof?

The key components of a proof include a hypothesis or claim, evidence to support the claim, a logical reasoning process, and a conclusion based on the evidence and reasoning.

4. What is the purpose of a proof?

The purpose of a proof in science is to provide a solid and convincing argument for a hypothesis or theory. It allows for the evaluation and validation of scientific ideas and contributes to the advancement of knowledge in a particular field.

5. Can a proof ever be considered absolute?

No, a proof in science can never be considered absolute as new evidence or information may emerge that could change or challenge the original conclusion. However, a well-supported and widely accepted proof can be considered highly reliable and influential in the scientific community.