No, you don't need to pick up after yourself

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, Oakland officials are proposing a new ordinance that would tax fast-food restaurants and use the money to clean up the city's streets.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/ap02-05-124620.asp?t=apcom&vts=2520061631

Oakland officials are so fed up with fast-food trash that they want to tax the businesses they blame for much of the city's garbage woes, then use the money to clean up the streets.
''It's not fair that the residents have to clean up after a fast-food establishment that's making a profit,'' said Councilwoman Jane Brunner, who proposed the new ordinance. ''A city is judged by how clean it is, and Oakland definitely has a major litter problem. It's time to clean up.''

Because as we all know, customers don't toss trash on the ground, corporations do :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the idiots should put their trash in the trash cans, and not in the streets to begin with! Remember your thread about debt Pengwuino. This is what I mean by wasting government money.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Maybe the idiots should put their trash in the trash cans, and not in the streets to begin with! Remember your thread about debt Pengwuino. This is what I mean by wasting government money.

This isn't government money though, its the restaurants money being specifically taken away for a specific, stupid stupid stupid reason. Is it just me or is this country coming to a point where no one is allowed to actually blame citizens for anything. Everything the citizen does it is right, they are perfect, governments and corporations are to blame for everything.

What do you think government money is? Its money taken from taxes. And more than likely, that money won't actually go where it was intended. This councilwoman sounds pretty stupid. In maryland, the fine for littering is $1000 bucks, we keep our trash in the trash cans.

Last edited:
Well i treat money differently when its like this, taken from a specific place to be used at a specific time. Money put into a general fund to distribute out i have more leeway with because when, for example, i pay 8% sales tax, i don't really expect it to go to any specific place. I would like to see where this money ACTUALLY goes though too!

I wonder what my uncle says about this. He's ultra-left, ultra-liberal, and even he is disgusted when Oakland does crap like this.

That’s what all politicians tell you until you realize where the money really goes, somewhere it was not originally intended. Another problem with things like this is that after the litter problem has been taken care of, the government isn't going to get rid of that tax bill on the resturants. They will still collect on the now clean streets so they can use the money in other areas. .....Man, I am salivating for a whopper from burger king with pickles and mayo on it right now......

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
Because as we all know, customers don't toss trash on the ground, corporations do :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I see what you mean. It's like the city government lost their mind and think the actual people doing the littering somehow don't figure into the equation.

I suppose what's behind that is the unconscious realization of how much harder it would be to police all the people doing the littering, and how much more unpopular that would make them, than it is to blame the restaurants and try to make them handle it.

I think they should have added a 0.001% sales tax or something like that. Traditionally, if a government can't precisely target certain members of the population, they just make it an inconvenience to everyone like some governments are doing with certain OTC medicines such as sudafed or whatever everyone was complaining about a few months ago.

Something I've noticed about clean city sidewalks and streets...they put out lots of trash cans in convenient locations! Littering usually only gets out of hand when people are walking for three blocks with an empty food wrapper without seeing a single trash can, and get tired of carrying it. If there are trash cans on every corner, and they aren't left to overflow, most people will use them. I also always liked it when the trash cans available had two compartments, one for regular trash, and one for recyclables so you didn't feel bad about tossing that soda can or water bottle in the regular trash. Then the only littering left are the infernal cigarette butts. :yuck: I've never understood why it is that you'll see an ashtray outside a building, and the ground around it is still covered with cigarette butts. How hard is it to use the ashtray if you're standing right next to it? :grumpy:

Pengwuino said:
I think they should have added a 0.001% sales tax or something like that. Traditionally, if a government can't precisely target certain members of the population, they just make it an inconvenience to everyone like some governments are doing with certain OTC medicines such as sudafed or whatever everyone was complaining about a few months ago.
If the problem is too common to resolve by putting a few extra cops out to start issuing tickets with sufficient fines to cover the cost of the extra cops and then some, then a general tax would make more sense than targetting just one group of businesses that aren't personally responsible for the littering. Then use the money for more trash cans and more frequent street-cleaning.

It's the Bay area. All those hippies just want to blame the corporations for all their woes. ;-p

1. Why is it important to not pick up after yourself?

Not picking up after yourself can actually have positive effects on your mental health and well-being. It allows you to practice mindfulness and live in the present moment, as well as reducing stress and promoting a sense of relaxation.

2. Won't not picking up after myself lead to a messy and disorganized environment?

It's important to distinguish between not picking up after yourself and being completely messy and disorganized. Not picking up after yourself simply means not feeling the need to constantly clean and tidy up after every little thing. This can actually promote a more relaxed and efficient living environment.

3. How can not picking up after myself benefit the environment?

Not picking up after yourself can benefit the environment in several ways. By not constantly using cleaning products, you reduce the amount of chemicals and pollutants being released into the environment. Additionally, not constantly purchasing and disposing of cleaning products can reduce waste and promote a more sustainable lifestyle.

4. Is not picking up after yourself considered lazy or irresponsible?

No, not picking up after yourself does not necessarily mean you are lazy or irresponsible. It simply means prioritizing your mental well-being and practicing self-care. As long as you are still taking care of your responsibilities and maintaining a clean living space, there is no harm in not constantly picking up after yourself.

5. How can I find a balance between not picking up after myself and maintaining a clean living space?

Finding a balance between not picking up after yourself and maintaining a clean living space is all about setting boundaries and finding what works best for you. This may involve setting aside certain times to clean or delegating tasks to others. It's important to find a balance that promotes both mental well-being and a clean living environment.

Back