Gravitational Force: Sun vs Earth

• Thread starter atomant
  • Start date
In summary, the gravitational force between the sun and the Earth is equal and opposite, as described by Newton's third law. This can be seen through the symmetry of the equation F=GM1M2/r^2. The values of G and r^2 remain constant, and for the masses M and m, the sun's mass is used for M and the Earth's mass is used for m. This holds true for calculating the force from either object to the other.
atomant
Which, if either, is greater: the gravitational force of the sun on the Earth, or the Earth on the sun? How should I be looking at this question i.e in terms of the radius of each object through the equation F=GM1M2/r^2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
atomant said:
Which, if either, is greater: the gravitational force of the sun on the Earth, or the Earth on the sun? How should I be looking at this question i.e in terms of the radius of each object through the equation F=GM1M2/r^2 ?
They're the same, i.e. wherever there is an action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You should look at the symmetry of F=GM1M2/r^2.

Pete

So it's the same because the G is constant or because the r^2 is the same for bothe planets?

Newtons third law, F=-F.

right, and if we were to calculate the the gravitational force exerted on the Earth by the sun we would use F=GMm/r^2.
If so I know G is constant, but what values do we substitute for the masses M and m? mass of Earth and sun?

and if we were to find the gravitational force exerted on the sun by the Earth, how do the values change?

Yes, use GMm/r^2. For M you use the suns mass, and for m use the Earth's mass. r^2 is the distance sun-earth. The gravitational force exerted on the Earth by the sun, is eqvivalent whit the force the Earth exerts on the sun.
Let`s say F, is the force from sun to earth. Then -F is the force from Earth to sun.

1. What is the gravitational force between the Sun and Earth?

The gravitational force between the Sun and Earth is approximately 3.5 x 10^22 Newtons. This is due to the large mass of the Sun, which exerts a strong gravitational pull on the Earth.

2. How does the distance between the Sun and Earth affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between the Sun and Earth is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. For example, if the distance between the two bodies doubles, the force decreases by a factor of four.

3. Why does the Earth orbit around the Sun instead of colliding with it?

The Earth orbits around the Sun because of the gravitational force between the two bodies. This force pulls the Earth towards the Sun, but the Earth also has a tangential velocity that keeps it in a circular orbit around the Sun.

4. How does the gravitational force between the Sun and Earth affect objects on Earth?

The gravitational force between the Sun and Earth affects objects on Earth by keeping them in orbit around the Sun, and by causing the tides on Earth's oceans. This force also plays a role in keeping our atmosphere in place, and in determining the weight of objects on Earth.

5. Is the gravitational force between the Sun and Earth constant?

No, the gravitational force between the Sun and Earth is not constant. It varies slightly due to factors such as the changing distance between the two bodies and the presence of other celestial bodies in the solar system. However, these variations are small and do not significantly affect the overall force between the Sun and Earth.