How to Identify Zero Force Members in a Truss Problem?

• Thread starter usfz28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truss
In summary, the conversation involves finding and solving for zero force members in a truss structure. The participants identify several zero force members, including AB, AC, BD, DG, GJ, CE, EH, HK, and FI. The conversation also mentions finding reactions and starting at point I. The validity of zero force members is questioned and it is suggested to go back and review the assumptions for determining them.
usfz28
I need to find all the zero force members, and solve for the other members. I am at school right now but I can definantly tell AB and AC are zero force members. When I get home I will see what else I can come up with. Also I cannot remember how to get the angled trusses :grumpy: Also All 3 downward forces are 20 kips

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/BrockBlackZ/prob1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By=22.11 and Iy=57.89... Since Bx=0 then I guess BD and DG are zero force members, How about GJ? Also sicne AC is zero is CE, EH, HK also zero? I also think FI is zero too. I know there are a lot of zero force members in here just need some help finding them

Assuming pinned connections, the only obvious zero force members are ED, HK & KJ.

Since the lower right reaction is a roller, then FI will also be a zero force member. I would find your reactions and start at I.

Why would ab and ac not be zero focer membes?

Go back and read when the assumption for zero force members is valid. If that does not help then report back.

What is a truss problem?

A truss problem is a type of engineering problem where a structure made of interconnected bars or beams is subjected to external forces. The goal is to determine the internal forces and stresses within the truss and ensure it is strong enough to support the load.

How do you solve a truss problem?

To solve a truss problem, you first need to identify all the external forces acting on the truss, such as weight, tension, and compression. Then, you can use equations of equilibrium and other structural analysis techniques to determine the internal forces and stresses within the truss. Finally, you can use these results to check the strength and stability of the truss.

What are the different types of truss problems?

There are several types of truss problems, including simple trusses, compound trusses, and complex trusses. Simple trusses have three or more members connected at their ends to form a stable structure, while compound trusses have two or more simple trusses combined together. Complex trusses have additional members or connections, making them more challenging to analyze.

What are the common mistakes when solving truss problems?

One of the most common mistakes when solving truss problems is not considering all the external forces acting on the truss. Another mistake is assuming all members are perfectly rigid, which can lead to incorrect calculations. It is also essential to check for symmetry and use the correct equations and techniques for analyzing different types of trusses.

Why is it important to solve truss problems accurately?

Solving truss problems accurately is crucial because it ensures the structural integrity and safety of the truss. If the internal forces and stresses are not correctly calculated, the truss may fail, leading to potential injuries or property damage. Accurate solutions also help in designing more efficient truss structures and optimizing material usage.