Mortality rates for autistic children

• Medical
  • Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary, the conversation discussed the recent news coverage of an autistic teenager scoring 20 points in a basketball game, leading to a discussion about the mortality rates of autistic individuals. The original poster shared their personal experience of thinking in pictures and their curiosity about the prevalence of accidental suicide among autistic individuals. Others in the conversation mentioned gifted children also preferring visual thinking and the influence of drug companies on the diagnosis and treatment of neurological disorders. The group concluded that autistic individuals have a normal life expectancy and expressed concerns about over-diagnosis and the potential harm of medication.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Recently, the subject of this autistic teenager scoring 20 points in ~4 minutes has been prevalent in the news.

Anyone know of any articles on the nature of the mortality rates for autistic people (unfortunately I'm not able to edit the title, meant "autistic people/individuals")?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm just tired, but I don't understand what you're asking at all. What did the autistic teenager score 20 points on? And what does that have to do with mortality?

Well on the news recently, perhaps it's a local thing, an autistic teenager had scored 20 points in ~4 minutes in the final minutes of a basketball (championship I believe) game. He got to meet with President Bush and is getting additional publicity from celebrities who are inspired with his story.

The main question really doesn't have anything to do with this event in particular. I was wondering on whether most autistic people actually survive to old age or whether something like "accidental" suicide is more common.

They are in their own world so to speak, and lack the fundamental awareness that normally developed people possess, that is an impaired ability to be conscious of...time, perhaps.

I occasionally become interested in these matters, having studied higher level psychology courses that I took as an elective during my early undergraduate years.

My thought is primarily in pictures. I have read people who think in pictures are considered autistic. IF this is true, my experience is there must be differing degrees of autism.

While I do have and enjoy a stronger degree of sensitivity to people and the world around me, it does not prevent me from communicating with other people. The difficulty I have is in the way information is organized in my thought, which is not always the same as someone who does not think in pictures. I "see" what other people must piece together by words, so when I communicate with people who think in words, I consider it communicating in "flat" because it is different from the way in which I think. Sometimes it takes me a little longer to understand, but once I understand a subject or topic, I can examine it in ways most people cannot.

There are a few things people would probably not consider "normal." I do loose time when I am deep in thought. Often whole days. It is not as though I am unaware, it is the thought I am in is so interesting I forget to notice not just time, but what is going on around me. I still function. Sometimes when I am deep in thought, I can make statements that may seem a little odd because I am not truly focused on anything other than what I am thinking intently about.

There are advantages to being this way. One college professor kept me after class to share with me she considers me to be an amazing descriptive writer. One employer I had took full advantage of my unique perspective which resulted in my salary almost doubling. That was way cool!

It has its downside as well. My first year of school I was terrified. I would not move from the chair for lunch or to go to recess. I remember barely breathing and not turning my head to the left or the right. Of course, they retained me thinking I had not learned anything, which was reflective in my grades... The next year it was apparent I did learn the year before, and they asked me if I wanted to be placed up into the next grade. I still do not understand where the information came from or remember when I learned it. It was just there and I knew it.

Time is not the true difficulty with autism. It is the great sensitivity we experience which makes us so sensitive to our surroundings that we have to insulate ourselves from things we find overwhelming to deal with in the world around us. Most of the time this is not an issue for me. Perhaps more so for others.

Cyndi

are you saying you're autistic? Or would you identify yourself more with selective mutism?

Cyndi Loo said:
<snip>
While I do have and enjoy a stronger degree of sensitivity to people and the world around me, it does not prevent me from communicating with other people. The difficulty I have is in the way information is organized in my thought, which is not always the same as someone who does not think in pictures. I "see" what other people must piece together by words, so when I communicate with people who think in words, I consider it communicating in "flat" because it is different from the way in which I think.
<snip>

Since you can understand the mind of other people. You are almost definitely not autistic. Although most if not all autistic people prefer visual thinking, the converse is not true. In fact, a lot of gifted children prefer visual/spatial thinking too.

Wai Wong

GCT said:
Anyone know of any articles on the nature of the mortality rates for autistic people (unfortunately I'm not able to edit the title, meant "autistic people/individuals")?

I think bipolar disorder and schizophrenia sufferers are more prone to suicide, but autistics are not. A google search on 'autistic life expectancy' shows that they have normal life expectancy.

A sad thing is that the drug companies are influencing the diagnosis criteria for various neurological disorders so that more and more people are now positively diagnosed and thus need medication which in fact, may do more harm (including suicide) than good except for the few real sufferers.

Wai Wong

1. What are the mortality rates for autistic children?

The mortality rates for autistic children vary depending on several factors such as age, co-occurring conditions, and overall health. However, studies have shown that the mortality rates for autistic children are higher compared to their neurotypical peers. A study conducted in Sweden found that the mortality rate for autistic children was nearly twice as high as the general population.

2. What are the leading causes of death for autistic children?

The leading causes of death for autistic children are accidents, followed by injuries and suffocation. Other common causes of death include epilepsy, gastrointestinal issues, and respiratory problems. It is important to note that these causes of death are often preventable with proper support and care.

3. Is there a link between autism and mortality rates?

Yes, research has shown that there is a link between autism and mortality rates. Autistic individuals may face various challenges that can increase their risk of mortality, such as difficulties with communication and understanding safety measures, co-occurring conditions, and limited access to healthcare.

4. Do mortality rates decrease with age for autistic individuals?

There is limited research on the mortality rates of autistic individuals as they age. However, some studies have shown that mortality rates may decrease as autistic individuals reach adolescence and adulthood. This could be due to better understanding and support for individuals with autism as they grow older.

5. How can we reduce mortality rates for autistic children?

There are several ways to reduce mortality rates for autistic children, including early intervention and support, providing safe environments, and addressing any co-occurring conditions. It is also essential to educate caregivers, families, and healthcare providers on how to best support and care for autistic individuals. Additionally, promoting acceptance and inclusion in society can also help reduce mortality rates for autistic children.