Kinetic theory of gases and volume

In summary, the initial volume V1 of the fixed mass of gas at constant pressure increases by a factor of four to the final volume V2 when the root mean squared velocity of the molecules is doubled. This is because temperature, which is a measure of the internal kinetic energy of the gas molecules, is directly proportional to the vrms of the gas. Using the ideal gas law with constant pressure, we can determine that the new volume is four times the initial volume. The answer given in the book, V2 = V1/[(2)^1/2], does not make sense as it implies a decrease in volume.
Amith2006
Sir,
Please help me with this problem.
# A fixed mass of gas at constant pressure occupies a volume V. The gas undergoes a rise in temperature so that the root mean squared velocity(c) of the molecule is doubled. What is the new volume?
I solved it in the following way:-
Let V1 be the initial volume & V2 be the final volume. Assuming the pressure to be constant,
c = (3PV1/M)^1/2 --------- (1)
2c = (3PV2/M)^1/2 --------- (2)
Dividing equation (1) by (2) we get,
½ = (V1/V2)^1/2
Squaring on both sides we get,
¼ = (V1/V2)
V2 = 4V1
But the answer given in my book is V2 = V1/[(2)^1/2] read as V1 divided by root 2.Here the symbol ^ represents power.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer seems OK to me. Since rms speed is proportional to the square root of the temperature, the temperature (and volume) must increase by a factor of four.

The book's answer makes no sense, since it implies that the volume decreases.

Amith2006 said:
Sir,
# A fixed mass of gas at constant pressure occupies a volume V. The gas undergoes a rise in temperature so that the root mean squared velocity(c) of the molecule is doubled. What is the new volume?
Let V1 be the initial volume & V2 be the final volume. Assuming the pressure to be constant,
½ = (V1/V2)^1/2
¼ = (V1/V2)
V2 = 4V1
But the answer given in my book is V2 = V1/[(2)^1/2] read as V1 divided by root 2.Here the symbol ^ represents power.
Where did you get your equations (1) and (2)?

How is temperature related to the vrms of the gas? Temperature is a measure of the internal (kinetic) energy of the gas molecules. So how is the kinetic energy of the molecules related to speed?

If vrms of the gas doubles, what is the increase in temperature (internal kinetic energy)?

Use PV=nRT with P constant to determine how Volume changes with temperature.

AM

Amith2006 said:
Sir,
½ = (V1/V2)^1/2
¼ = (V1/V2)
V2 = 4V1

Thank you Sir for your help.

What is the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases is a scientific model that explains the behavior of gases at the molecular level. It states that gas particles are constantly in motion, colliding with each other and the walls of their container. This theory helps to explain properties such as temperature, pressure, and volume of gases.

How does the Kinetic Theory of Gases explain gas volume?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases states that gas particles are in constant motion and have no definite shape or volume. As they move, they collide with the walls of their container, exerting pressure. The more collisions and faster the particles move, the higher the pressure and volume of the gas will be.

What is the relationship between temperature and volume in the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

According to the Kinetic Theory of Gases, as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of gas particles also increases. This results in faster and more frequent collisions with the walls of the container, leading to an increase in volume. Similarly, as temperature decreases, the volume of gas decreases due to a decrease in particle motion and collisions.

How does the Kinetic Theory of Gases explain gas pressure?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases states that gas pressure is a result of the constant collisions of gas particles with the walls of their container. The more collisions and faster the particles move, the higher the pressure will be. This is why increasing the number of gas particles or decreasing the volume of the container will result in an increase in pressure.

What are the assumptions of the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases is based on several assumptions, including: 1) Gas particles are in constant, random motion. 2) The volume of gas particles is negligible compared to the volume of the container. 3) Gas particles do not exert attractive or repulsive forces on each other. 4) Collisions between gas particles and with the walls of the container are elastic. 5) The temperature of a gas is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of its particles.