Statistical Mechanics: Solving for Average Energy of System

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between the linear momentum and kinetic energy of N identical particles in a box. The Hamiltonian of the system is given by E = c\left|\overrightarrow{p}\right|, where c is the speed of light. The goal is to find the average energy of the system by evaluating the integral Z, which can be solved by transforming to spherical coordinates.
arnesmeets
This shouldn't be too hard but I'm struggling.

Consider N identical particles in a box of volume V. The relation between their linear momentum and kinetic energy is given by [tex]E = c\left|\overrightarrow{p}\right|[/tex], where c is the speed of light. So, the Hamiltonian of the system is

[tex]H_N\left(\overrightarrow{q_1},\,\cdots,\overrightarrow{q_N},\overrightarrow{p_1},\,\cdots,\overrightarrow{p_N}\right) = c \sum_{i = 1}^N \left|p_i\right|[/tex]
Now, I'm trying to find the average energy of the system. So, I need to get Z:

[tex]Z = \int \exp\left(-\beta \cdot c \cdot \sum_i \left|p_i\right|\right) d\overrightarrow{q_1}\cdots d\overrightarrow{q_N} d\overrightarrow{p_1}\cdots d\overrightarrow{p_N} = V^{N} \cdot \left(\int \exp\left(-\beta \cdot c \cdot \left|\overrightarrow{p}\right|\right) d\overrightarrow{p}\right)^N[/tex]Now, I've got two questions:

1) Is there any mistake in the calculations for Z above?
2) How to evaluate the integral?? :blushing:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does nobody have a clue?:confused:

You can solve the integral quite easily by transforming to spherical coordinates (r,\theta, \phi). So the integral becomes:

[tex] \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} e^{-\beta r} r^2\sin{\theta} dr d\theta d\phi = 4\pi \int_0^{\infty} r^2 e^{-\beta r}dr[/tex]

I think you can now solve the rest on your own :smile:

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain and predict the behavior of large systems of particles. It is based on the idea that the macroscopic properties of a system can be understood by studying the statistical behavior of its microscopic components.

2. How is average energy of a system calculated in statistical mechanics?

The average energy of a system is calculated by using the Boltzmann distribution, which relates the energy of a particle to its probability of being in a certain state. By summing over all possible states of the system, the average energy can be determined.

3. What factors affect the average energy of a system in statistical mechanics?

The average energy of a system is affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and number of particles in the system. It is also influenced by the interactions between particles and the external environment.

4. How is statistical mechanics used in real-world applications?

Statistical mechanics has many practical applications, including in the fields of thermodynamics, material science, and molecular biology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids, and has led to advancements in technology and medicine.

5. What are the limitations of statistical mechanics?

While statistical mechanics is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of large systems, it has its limitations. It assumes that the particles in a system are in thermal equilibrium, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also cannot account for quantum effects, which are important in small-scale systems.