Is Darkness Simply a Lack of Light?

• Thread starter Anttech
  • Start date
In summary, darkness can be defined as a lack of photons in the visible spectrum, resulting in no signal from the eyes and interpreted by the brain as black or the absence of light. Other spectrums of light may be present, but the retina does not respond to them.
Anttech
(stupid question)

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how can you define darkness, ie, would it be exceptable to define darkeness as a lack of light or lack of photons?

(/stupid question)

Physics news on Phys.org
A lack of photons striking the retina.

eh yeh that's what I thought, how would you define darkness without a person being there?... I think just lack of photons?

PS being Greek I like you signature! :)

Yeah, you could define it as being a lack of photons in the visible spectrum. Other spectrums of light could be present, but the retina will not respond to them. This absense of any signal from our eyes is interpreted by our brains as "darkness" or black.

1. What is darkness?

Darkness is the absence of light or the absence of visible electromagnetic radiation. It is often described as the opposite of brightness or lightness.

2. How is darkness measured?

Darkness can be measured by using a photometer, which measures the amount of light present in a given area. The unit of measurement for darkness is called lux, and it is measured in lumens per square meter.

3. Can darkness be created?

Yes, darkness can be created artificially by blocking or reducing the amount of light in a given space. This can be done by using curtains, blinds, or other opaque materials to block out natural light sources.

4. Is darkness the same as black?

No, darkness and black are not the same. Black is a color that absorbs all visible light, while darkness is the absence of light. In other words, black is a color, while darkness is a condition.

5. Can darkness be harmful to humans?

Exposure to darkness for extended periods of time can lead to a condition called nyctophobia, or fear of the dark. Darkness can also make it difficult to see and navigate, which can pose safety hazards. However, darkness is a natural part of the day and night cycle and does not have any inherent physical harm.