I'm gonna make $100,000 for doing nothing

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the person got offered a job with a guaranteed increase in stock value and is excited for the opportunity.
gravenewworld
I'm going to make $100,000 for doing nothing!

so i just got offered a job at my company where i have been an intern at for the past 2 years. with the offer comes 3500 shares of company stock. right now the stock is at $20 a share, however, when the FDA approves our drug in November (we are 95% sure it will get through), our stock is projected to go up to $60. I got in at just the right time. Oh man i am going to be the only 23 year old that I know that has a new house completely paid off--with cash!:biggrin: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
wow that's alot.

Stock is dangeous but someitmes starnge.
Me and my great grandfather invested in a company that went out bussiness the next month. A year later My great grandfather told me it went it up. He said when it hits a 1$(or maybe $5) he's going to give 5,000

I'm sure you've earned that money one way or another, or so i'd like to think. Some suffering in the past perhaps, there must be something.

gravenewworld said:
so i just got offered a job at my company where i have been an intern at for the past 2 years. with the offer comes 3500 shares of company stock. right now the stock is at $20 a share, however, when the FDA approves our drug in November (we are 95% sure it will get through), our stock is projected to go up to $60. I got in at just the right time. Oh man i am going to be the only 23 year old that I know that has a new house completely paid off--with cash!:biggrin: :biggrin:
Are these actually shares of stock, or stock options, which you have a guaranteed price to buy, but you have to wait (usually 5 years) for them to vest?

I was going to be able to put the evo child through school too, with 27,000 stock options AT&T gave me, then the stock dropped and I could never excersize the options.

[whisper] be irresponsible and buy a ferrari [/whisper]

my grandma got into stock market about 10 years ago, hoping to become a millionaire, today, from whole 5000, she's got 2500 still with chances to be as rich as Billo Gates.

Evo said:
Are these actually shares of stock, or stock options, which you have a guaranteed price to buy, but you have to wait (usually 5 years) for them to vest?

I was going to be able to put the evo child through school too, with 27,000 stock options AT&T gave me, then the stock dropped and I could never excersize the options.

it is stock

gravenewworld said:
it is stock
Then cash it in the minute it hits the rate you're expecting.

gravenewworld said:
however, when the FDA approves our drug in November (we are 95% sure it will get through), our stock is projected to go up to $60.

Sounds like a good sales pitch

Pengwuino said:
Sounds like a good sales pitch
The good thing is that it's not costing him anything and he only stands to profit if the predictions come true. He's not being asked to buy stock. I've known people to make huge amounts of money on offers like this.

gravenewworld, you have to promise to buy me a dark chocolate bar of at least 12 oz if this happens because I believed you. :smile:

[whisper]motorcycle, ferrari, corvette, porsche, ferrari [/whisper]

cyrusabdollahi said:
[whisper]motorcycle, ferrari, corvette, porsche, ferrari [/whisper]
[whisper]ROADRUNNER REBUILD FUND[/whisper]

Last edited:
I'm going to make $100,000 for doing nothing!
That's kind of unfortunate, graven. Speaking as someone who has worked in Silicon Valley real hard at a startup and done pretty well (not quite enough to retire on, but enough for the family to be comfortable on and to put the kids through whatever schools they are up for), you should not brag at doing nothing and getting good stock option offerings. The whole stock offering for extraordinary performance thing is in jeapordy at the moment thanks to shortsighted legislation, and your post doesn't help at all. Hopefully you are a hotshot who was hired at a startup based on your extraordinary future promise, and not a freeloader who got in lucky because of a relative or something. I know we have very high hiring standards in our R&D Lab, even though we are a few years past our startup phase...

gravenewworld said:
so i just got offered a job at my company where i have been an intern at for the past 2 years. with the offer comes 3500 shares of company stock. right now the stock is at $20 a share, however, when the FDA approves our drug in November (we are 95% sure it will get through), our stock is projected to go up to $60. I got in at just the right time.

Yeah, a similar thing happened with my wife. About a year after we started dating, she scored a really high-paying job and now I'm on easy street (left off of Monroe). The best part is that the money keeps coming. I haven't had to work a day all weekend.

Lend us a fiver :tongue:

Congrats on your windfall!

Of course, when I won the lottery it didn't change my life...

...Much! :biggrin:

gravenewworld said:
Oh man i am going to be the only 23 year old that I know that has a new house completely paid off--with cash!
Watch out for capital gains tax! That could take a bite out of that cash. In my area of the country, houses cost way more than $100K.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

Good luck with your free money.

Astronuc said:
Watch out for capital gains tax! That could take a bite out of that cash. In my area of the country, houses cost way more than $100K.
I was just going to say...
"what a dinky house!" or something:biggrin:

You may want to think about closing you position in the near future, the market is due for a real shakeout in the next quarter.

I'm also getting $100,000... but it's not for "nothing." I literally had blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention a lot of broken bones) for this one.

Anyway, congrats. :)

Good luck! Don't lose sight of the fact that you getting the money is based on a pretty big "if". Don't spend it before you've got it.

Ideologue said:
You speak for everyone, do you, buddy?
Ideologue, you're on the wrong forum to be discussing this.

No one on Earth is more sensitive to the suffering of animals than I am, and although I wish there was an alternative, there is not.

Also, you have seriously derailed this thread, so I have to warn you...no more posts about this in this thread. I am deleting the off topic posts.

If you want to start a thread about animal testing, you may, but you must cite valid articles, not emotional, unscientific facts.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Ideologue, you're on the wrong forum to be discussing this.

No one on Earth is more sensitive to the suffering of animals than I am, and although I wish there was an alternative, there is not.

Also, you have seriously derailed this thread, so I have to warn you...no more posts about this in this thread. I am deleting the off topic posts.
I posted that last message before I read your post.

But I disagree. What I post is very much on-topic, and is mostly in response to what others have directed at me.

Edit: There are plenty of scientific facts, and articles, within the links I posted. They back up my claims that the animal testing industry is nothing but a sinister affair and bad science.

What I posted is a brief summary of facts. I am not led by emotion, unlike, as it would seem, many of the posters that responded to me are.

Last edited:
I just realized.. you'll probably make about $30k. I wouldn't expect the stock to go up to half of what they're saying and capital gains will take a good 30-40% away.

Oh and deduct 10% for the friends tax. For those of you who don't know, its the tax brought upon by the new friends you'll all of a sudden have that forgot about you years ago.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:

You mind giving us the exchange and symbol for this stock so we can share in the profits?

Then again, how much do I trust you to be taking stock advice from you. I'll eventually have plenty of money if I just wait long enough.

TGTBT selling at $20.5 a share right now.

loseyourname said:
You mind giving us the exchange and symbol for this stock so we can share in the profits?

Then again, how much do I trust you to be taking stock advice from you. I'll eventually have plenty of money if I just wait long enough.

people get in trouble for that kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure everything I've told you is public knowlege, but just to be safe i won't tell you where i work.

There are two, scientifically proven sources that one should NEVER get stock advice from:

1) Your friends
2) Your broker

1. What is the premise behind "I'm gonna make $100,000 for doing nothing"?

The premise behind this statement is that someone believes they can make a large sum of money without putting in any effort or work. This is often associated with get-rich-quick schemes or unrealistic expectations.

2. Is it actually possible to make $100,000 for doing nothing?

No, it is not possible to make such a large amount of money without putting in any effort or work. Making money requires some sort of action or contribution, whether it be through a job, investment, or entrepreneurship.

3. What are some examples of "doing nothing" that could result in making $100,000?

There are no legitimate examples of "doing nothing" that could result in making $100,000. Any claims of this nature are likely scams or unrealistic expectations.

4. Why do people believe they can make money for doing nothing?

People may believe they can make money for doing nothing because of the prevalence of get-rich-quick schemes and false promises of easy money in the media. Additionally, some individuals may have a lack of understanding of how money is earned and the effort required to make it.

5. How can I avoid falling for claims of making money for doing nothing?

The best way to avoid falling for claims of making money for doing nothing is to use critical thinking and research any opportunities thoroughly. Be wary of any offers that sound too good to be true, and remember that making money requires effort and work.