Another tan and sec integral issue

In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral of (x^3)/((x^2+1)^(1/2)) dx. Two different methods were proposed, one using trigonometric substitution and the other using integration by parts. The conversation also touched upon changing variables and using the substitution u = x^2 + 1. Ultimately, the correct answer was found to be (1/3)sec^3 θ - sec θ + C, and it was clarified that it can be converted back to x by substituting sec θ = √(x^2+1).
prace
Here is another problem that might be related to my last post. These dang sec and tan. Anyway, here goes...

[tex]\int\frac{x^3}\sqrt{{x^2+1}}\dx[/tex]

Oh man.. above is a feeble attempt to write with the LaTeX language. that was my first attempt and a terrible one at that. Haha.. Sorry about that. Anyway, to the question.

I am trying to integrate ∫(x^3)/((x^+1)^(1/2)) dx

To start, I let x = tan(θ) which let's dx = sec^2(θ) dθ
Plugging this back into the equation, we get ∫ (tan^3(θ)/((tan^2(θ)+1)^(1/2)) sex^2(θ) dθ.

Solving the algebra I come to a point that I do not know what to do next.

That is, ∫ tan^3(θ)sec(θ) dθ.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what the next step would be?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Again, don't bother with trig substitutions!
Let [tex]u(x)=x^{2}, \frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}[/tex]

Wait, so if I let u = [tex]x^2[/tex], then what does that make the numerator after substituting it back in? Am I missing some fundamental algebra thing here, because I don't see how that works.

The way arildno wrote that, it looks like an "integration by parts" that I don't follow! Let u= x2+ 1 so that du= 2x dx or (1/2)du= xdx.
The numerator, then, is x2(xdx)= (1/2)(u-1)du and the denominator is u1/2.

Of course, you can do the tan, sec integral: reduce it to sine and cosine:
[tex]tan^3 \theta sec \theta= \frac{sin^3 \theta}{cos^4 \theta}[/tex]
Write that as
[tex]\frac{sin^2 \theta}{cos^4 \theta} sin \theta = \frac{1- cos^2 \theta}{cos^4 \theta} sin \theta[/tex]
and let u= cos [itex]\theta[/itex].

(To get the root around the whole thing, use braces: {x^2+ 1}.)

Don't follow??
It is perfectly obvious!
We get [itex]v=\sqrt{x^{2}+1}[/itex], thus:
[tex]\int\frac{x^{3}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}dx=x^{2}\sqrt{x^{2}+1}-\int{2}x\sqrt{x^{2}+1}dx=x^{2}\sqrt{x^{2}+1}-\frac{2}{3}(x^{2}+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}+C[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok: I tried both approaches here and neither of them seem to be getting me to the correct answer. Or, maybe it is the correct answer and I don't know it. The answer that arildno gave looks correct to me, but I do not follow the algebra. I know, as a calculus student I should be able to follow this no trouble, but it seems a little confusing to me. If you do not want to waste your time explaining it I totally understand.

The solution that HallsofIvy gave me I completely understand, but I don't seem to come out to a correct answer.

After
[tex]\frac{sin^2 \theta}{cos^4 \theta} sin \theta = \frac{1- cos^2 \theta}{cos^4 \theta} sin \theta[/tex]

and then letting u = cos(θ), I then came out to
[tex]3sec^3 \theta+sec \theta[/tex]

That solved for θ, so by building a triangle and finding out what θ is I got
[tex]1+x^2+3(1+x^2)^3\[/tex]

That brings about another fundametal issue that I might have a problem with. For example, if I evaluate an integral and come to an answer like the above, [tex]3sec^3 \theta+sec \theta[/tex], for the the [tex]3sec^3 \theta[/tex] part, can I find sec(θ) and then just cube it? If I can, then maybe I got the right answer, but if you can't, then I suppose I am way off. My guess is that you can't.

prace said:
After

and then letting u = cos(θ), I then came out to
[tex]3sec^3 \theta+sec \theta[/tex]
This line is incorrect.
You should note that:
[tex]\int x ^ {\alpha} dx = \frac{x ^ {\alpha + 1}}{\alpha + 1} + C, \ \alpha \neq -1[/tex]
Now:
[tex]\int \frac{1 - \cos ^ 2 \theta}{\cos ^ 4 \theta} \sin \theta d\theta = - \int \frac{1 - \cos ^ 2 \theta}{\cos ^ 4 \theta} d(\cos \theta) = - \int \frac{d(\cos \theta)}{\cos ^ 4 \theta} + \int \frac{d(\cos \theta)}{\cos ^ 2 \theta}[/tex]
[tex]= - \int \cos ^ {-4} \theta d(\cos \theta) + \int \cos ^ {-2} \theta d(\cos \theta) = \frac{1}{3 \cos ^ 3 \theta} - \frac{1}{\cos \theta} + C[/tex]
Yes, you can convert [tex]\theta[/tex] back to x like this:
Since you let:
[tex]x = \tan \theta \Rightarrow x ^ 2 + 1 = \tan ^ 2 \theta + 1 = \sec ^ 2 \theta \Rightarrow \sec \theta = \sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}[/tex]
So:
[tex]\sec \theta = \sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}[/tex]. Can you change [tex]\theta[/tex] back to x now? :)
--------------------
Here's another method (the u-substitution one)
Now we must find [tex]\int \frac{x ^ 3 dx}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}}[/tex], we have:
[tex]\int \frac{x ^ 3 dx}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}} = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{x ^ 2 d(x ^ 2 + 1)}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}}[/tex] (make the substitution u = x2 + 1)
[tex]= \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{(x ^ 2 + 1 - 1) d(x ^ 2 + 1)}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}} = \frac{1}{2} \int \sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1} d(x ^ 2 + 1) - \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d(x ^ 2 + 1)}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}}[/tex].
Can you go from here? :)
--------------------
About arildno's method:
Integration by Parts is:
[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{x ^ 3 dx}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}}[/tex]
We then let u = x2, and [tex]dv = \frac{x dx}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}}[/tex]
u = x2 => du = 2x dx
[tex]dv = \frac{x dx}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}} \Rightarrow v = \sqrt{x ^ 2 + 1}[/tex]
Substitute all those to our formula, and we are done. Can you get this? :)

Last edited:

What is the purpose of solving "Another tan and sec integral issue"?

The purpose of solving "Another tan and sec integral issue" is to find the antiderivative of a function involving the tangent and secant trigonometric functions. This is important in calculus and other mathematical fields as it allows for the evaluation of integrals and the calculation of areas under curves.

What are the common methods used to solve "Another tan and sec integral issue"?

The most common methods used to solve "Another tan and sec integral issue" are substitution, trigonometric identities, and integration by parts. These methods can be used individually or in combination to find the antiderivative of the given function.

What are the key steps in solving "Another tan and sec integral issue" using the substitution method?

The key steps in solving "Another tan and sec integral issue" using the substitution method are:

1. Identify a substitution variable that will simplify the given function
  2. Apply the appropriate trigonometric identity to express the function in terms of the chosen substitution variable
  3. Integrate the resulting function with respect to the substitution variable
  4. Substitute back the original variable and simplify the final result

How do trigonometric identities help in solving "Another tan and sec integral issue"?

Trigonometric identities provide useful relationships between trigonometric functions that can simplify the given integral. These identities can be used to express the function in terms of a substitution variable or to transform the function into a more manageable form for integration.

Why is solving "Another tan and sec integral issue" important in real-world applications?

Solving "Another tan and sec integral issue" is important in real-world applications as it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as work, distance, and fluid flow. These integrals are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world problems.