Having A problem with windows media player 11 and a DVD.

• Thread starter Tido611
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the speaker's friend gave them a DVD with physics videos, but they were unable to play it on their computer with Windows Media Player. After troubleshooting on the Windows website, they were advised to install the mp4 codec manually. Another person suggested trying a different player, such as Winamp, to see if it has the correct codecs.
Tido611
Umm my friend recently gave me a DVD with some physics videos on it that he thought that i should watch i got back to my room and the vids didnt work but then he tried it on his computer which also had windows media player and it worked perfectly so i don't really understand what is happening.

The file extension is .mp4

i went trobleshooting on the windows site but i came up with nuttin so i figured i would throw a post up here and see what you guys are saying.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Perhaps you need to install the mp4 codec manually.

- Warren

any idea how i would go and do that?

Didnt think windows media player played dvd's out of the box, and I don't think that the codexs are free for that. Try a different player, like winamp and see if they have the correct codexs.

1. Why is my DVD not playing in Windows Media Player 11?

There could be several reasons why your DVD is not playing in Windows Media Player 11. One possibility is that your DVD is damaged or scratched, which can affect its ability to be read by the player. Another reason could be that your DVD drive is not functioning properly. Additionally, if you are trying to play a DVD that is from a different region than your computer's default setting, it may not play in Windows Media Player 11.

2. How can I fix the issue of choppy playback in Windows Media Player 11?

Choppy playback in Windows Media Player 11 can be caused by a few different factors. One solution is to lower the video quality or resolution of the DVD being played. You can also try closing any other programs or applications that may be running in the background and using up system resources. Additionally, updating your graphics card drivers may improve playback performance.

3. My DVD is playing but there is no sound in Windows Media Player 11. What should I do?

If your DVD is playing but there is no sound in Windows Media Player 11, the first thing to check is your volume settings. Make sure the volume is turned up and not muted in both the player and on your computer. If that does not solve the issue, it could be a problem with the audio codec used in the DVD. You may need to install or update the necessary codec to hear sound in the player.

4. Can I change the default DVD playback settings in Windows Media Player 11?

Yes, you can change the default DVD playback settings in Windows Media Player 11. To do so, go to the Tools menu and select Options. Then, click on the DVD tab and choose the desired settings for playback, such as the default DVD player and the region of the DVD. You can also adjust the audio and video settings for DVD playback.

5. How do I troubleshoot other issues with playing DVDs in Windows Media Player 11?

If you are experiencing other issues with playing DVDs in Windows Media Player 11, such as error messages or freezing, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot. First, make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements for playing DVDs. You can also try updating the player to the latest version and running a virus scan to check for any potential malware that could be affecting playback. If the issue persists, you may need to seek technical support or try using a different media player.