Inertial frame of reference help

In summary, a series of experiments were conducted in an inertial frame of reference where two or three forces were applied to an object with given magnitudes. The object could possibly remain at rest in three cases, where the net force would add up to 0. These cases are A, B, and D, but it is also possible for cases E, F, and H to result in a net force of 0 if the equal forces act in certain directions.
Kalie
In an inertial frame of reference, a series of experiments is conducted. In each experiment, two or three forces are applied to an object. The magnitudes of these forces are given. No other forces are acting on the object. In which cases may the object possibly remain at rest?

The forces applied are as follows:

2 N; 2 N
200 N; 200 N
200 N; 201 N
2 N; 2 N; 4 N
2 N; 2 N; 2 N
2 N; 2 N; 3 N
2 N; 2 N; 5 N
200 N; 200 N; 5 N

I figured that A and B and C were the only ones possible since the net force could add up to 0 but it says I'm wrong...
I think there is some conscept I am missing
help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can they add up to 0 in case C?

I thought so, but i tried a and b together and that was wrong too
...sorry I ment d

Last edited:
There are actually 3 cases in which they can add up to 0. A and B are two, you need to find the third.

is it d? because that is what i tried and it was wrong

D should be right. A, B and D are the answers.

there is more than 3 it told me

I guess it could also work in E,F and H...the equal forces in those cases could act in certain direction for the resultant force to be equal to third force in each case.

Edit: I meant H, not G. Sorry.

Last edited:
awesome it worked thank i should of thought about it acting on them from angles

1. What is an inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is a coordinate system that remains stationary or moves with a constant velocity in a straight line. In this frame of reference, Newton's first law of motion holds true, stating that an object will maintain its state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is an inertial frame of reference different from a non-inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is characterized by the absence of any net external forces, while a non-inertial frame of reference experiences acceleration or rotation. In a non-inertial frame, objects will appear to move due to the frame's acceleration, even if no external forces are acting on them.

3. Why is the concept of an inertial frame of reference important in physics?

The concept of an inertial frame of reference is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects. By using an inertial frame of reference, we can isolate and analyze the effects of external forces on an object's motion.

4. How do you determine if a frame of reference is inertial?

A frame of reference is considered inertial if the laws of physics hold true in that frame, specifically Newton's first law of motion. If an object appears to be at rest or moving with a constant velocity in a straight line in that frame, then it is considered inertial.

5. Can a non-inertial frame of reference be converted to an inertial one?

No, a non-inertial frame of reference cannot be converted to an inertial one. The frame would need to be completely free from any accelerations or rotations, which is not possible in reality. However, we can approximate an inertial frame of reference by minimizing the effects of external forces on the object being observed.