Help with designing thruster for rov.

In summary, using lip seals and a thin oil will work fine for a ROV without any issues with ocean depth.
eliotegli77
Hi there,
I plan to build a ROV, and am currently looking at different methods of propulsion. I do not wish to use `o` rings or seals and have considered magnetic coupling for the propellor to the electric motor, or even hydraulics. Cost is an issue. Would appreciate any advice on building a ROV. Plan to build a ROV to use in depths of around 100m. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A magnetic coupling sounds like the best way to avoid orings but it should not be a separate magnetic coupling than the one that already exist between the motor and its' rotor. Have you ever seen how an small aquarium water pump works?

thanks for reply, no have not seen how one works. Was thinking that the magnetic coupling may be the best option.

This came up a long time ago, with quite a long series of responses. One suggestion was to not bother sealing the motor and just flood it with mineral oil to keep water out. I can't remember the exact details, but a forum search should bring it up for you.

Thanks danger, will do a search and see what comes up. Have heard of that before, sounds like a good option perhaps easier than the magnetic coupling.

I guess I don't understand the aversion to using o-rings. They are easy and cheap. They will handle pretty much any pressure gradient you throw at them and have a wide variety of materials to suit any application.

And there's plenty of bellows/labyrinth glands which will do the job wonderfully too...

A labby is probably not the best for this application. They have to be constantly rotating in order to seal. If I am not correct, there are going to be times where these thrusters would not be moving. Plus to get a complete seal it would have to have a buffer supply of air from somewhere.

please i want to hlep in designing thruster for ROV

Hi

Use lip seals and fill the whole thing with oil.
Silicone oil is best, but almost any thin floating oil can be used.
+0,3- +0,5 bar compensation on the oil is recommended.
Works fine, and no limits regarding ocean depth.

1. How do I determine the optimal thrust for my ROV?

To determine the optimal thrust for your ROV, you will need to consider factors such as the weight of the ROV, the depth of the water it will be operating in, and any additional equipment or payloads that will be attached. You can use mathematical equations or software simulations to help calculate the necessary thrust.

2. What type of thruster is best for an ROV?

The type of thruster that is best for an ROV will depend on the specific needs and requirements of your ROV. Some common types of thrusters used for ROVs include ducted thrusters, propellers, and water jets. It is important to consider factors such as efficiency, maneuverability, and noise levels when selecting a thruster.

3. How can I ensure the thruster is properly sealed to prevent water leakage?

To prevent water leakage, it is important to properly seal all openings and connections on the thruster. This can be achieved by using waterproof seals, O-rings, and gaskets. Regular maintenance and inspection of the thruster can also help identify and prevent any potential leaks.

4. Can the thruster be controlled remotely?

Yes, the thruster can be controlled remotely using a control system such as a joystick or remote control. This allows the operator to adjust the speed and direction of the thruster as needed. Some advanced control systems also allow for automated control of the thruster.

5. How do I test the performance of the thruster?

To test the performance of the thruster, you can conduct trials in a controlled environment such as a pool or tank. This will allow you to measure the thrust, speed, and maneuverability of the thruster under different conditions. You can also use computer simulations to predict the performance of the thruster before conducting physical tests.