Differential Geometry: Showing a curve is a sphere curve

In summary: Therefore, the given curve is a sphere curve.In summary, by finding values of x for which the tangent, normal, and binormal fields equal (-1,0,0), it can be shown that (-1,0,0) belongs to each normal plane, proving that the given curve is a sphere curve.
^_^physicist

Homework Statement

Show that a(x) =( -cos(2x)), -2*cos(x), sin (2x)) is a sphere curve by showing that (-1,0,0) belongs to each normal plane.

Homework Equations

Not quite sure (part of my question)
T= a'(x)
N= T'/norm(T')
B= T x N (T cross N)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I found the values of the Tangent field, the Binormal Field, and the Normal field vectors to be certain values and have attempted to demonstrate, by finding a value of x for each of the fields, that the point exists for all three of the planes. However, I don't think this is what should have been done. In fact I am frankly confused as to how exactly to go about showing the asked statement is true. So I guess what I am asking for is did I do this right (see work below), or am I in the wrong frame of mind?

T= (2 sin(2x), 2 sin(x), 2 cos(2x))
N=( (4 cos(2x), 2 cos(x), -4sin(2x))/(sqrt(cos^2(x)+4)

(B is kind of nasty to write up without latex...so I will work on that one, but for the time being if you need to figure it out just go with B = T cross N).

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
So if I understand the question right, I have to find a value of x for which all the fields equal (-1,0,0). So for T: 2 sin(2x) = -1 2 sin(x) = 0 2 cos (2x) = 0 Solving for x I get x = -pi/4 and pi/4. For N: 4cos(2x) = -1 2 cos (x) = 0 -4sin(2x) = 0 Solving for x I get x = -3pi/4 and 3pi/4. For B: 2cos(2x) = -1 2sin(x) = 0 -4cos(2x) = 0 Solving for x I get x = -pi/2 and pi/2. So since each of the points x = -pi/4, pi/4, -3pi/4, 3pi/4, -pi/2, pi/2 have all the fields equal (-1,0,0), then we can conclude that (-1,0,0) belongs to each normal plane.

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using the tools of calculus. It is concerned with the study of geometric objects in a way that takes into account the effects of small changes in the object's shape and position.

2. What is a sphere curve?

A sphere curve is a curve that lies on the surface of a sphere. It is a special case of a space curve, which is a curve that exists in three-dimensional space. A sphere curve is characterized by having constant curvature, meaning that the radius of curvature is the same at every point on the curve.

3. How can a curve be shown to be a sphere curve?

To show that a curve is a sphere curve, we need to demonstrate that its curvature is constant. This can be done by calculating the curvature at multiple points along the curve and showing that it is the same at each point. Alternatively, we can use the fact that a curve is a sphere curve if and only if it is the intersection of two spheres with different radii.

4. What are the applications of differential geometry in real life?

Differential geometry has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze curves and surfaces in the real world, such as the path of a moving object, the shape of a car's exterior, or the surface of a 3D object in a video game.

5. What are some other important concepts in differential geometry?

Other important concepts in differential geometry include the curvature and torsion of a curve, which measure how much a curve deviates from a straight line and how much it twists in space, respectively. The concept of a manifold, which is a generalization of a surface, is also central to differential geometry and has many applications in physics and other areas of mathematics.