Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists

• Thread starter rahuldandekar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation was about a series of limericks written by someone for their blog. They were initially intended to be posted in a jokes thread, but the thread was locked. The limericks revolved around various physics concepts and had a humorous tone. The conversation also mentioned how James Clerk Maxwell used to write homework problems in verse and suggested that these limericks could inspire others in the field. One of the limericks was shared, which was about Gauss' Law.
rahuldandekar
I wrote these myself, for http://limericker.blogspot.com" ... I wanted to post these in the jokes thread, but then I discovered it was locked. So, here they are...

There was once an electron in a p-n junction
Who couldn't help the others in conduction
Some said he wasn't (w)hole
That he was the opposite pole
But he just had an abnormal wavefunction!

Friend of a light wave, circularly polarised
Complained of it's being improperly oversized
Grabbed it's right hand
Passed it through quartz, and
Now it's linear, and effectively pint-sized!

A thieving wave stole without reservations
Curie-us physicists noted non-conservations
But finally it struck a plate
And it faced it's fate
As it died instantly on observation!

Hope this starts a thread on such limericks. :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
To screw with a thrust and a bolt
gives your system a massive jolt
To poke with a plug
with the weight of a slug
gives the engineer a hideous leer.

Heh, what an interesting thread. You know, apparently when James Clerk Maxwell used to write homework problems, he would write them in verse. Perhaps this could be the poetic physicist's inspiration. Anyway, it just so happens that I wrote one myself the other day.

Gauss' Law

To find the field at a given distance
From a symmetric distribution at any instance
Employ a Gaussian shell
Whose flux shall surely tell
The strength of the electrostatic resistance

Likes gracy

1. What is "Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists"?

"Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists" is a book that contains humorous and clever limericks about various concepts and theories in physics. It is a fun and creative way for scientists and science enthusiasts to learn and appreciate the subject.

2. Who is the author of "Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists"?

The author of "Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists" is not specified, as it is a compilation of limericks from various contributors. It is a collaborative effort to make learning and understanding physics more enjoyable.

3. Are the limericks in "Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists" scientifically accurate?

While the limericks in the book may contain some exaggeration and comedic elements, they are based on scientific concepts and theories. They are meant to be a fun and creative interpretation of these concepts, rather than a completely accurate representation.

4. Is "Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists" suitable for all ages?

While the book does contain some advanced concepts and scientific terminology, it is suitable for all ages. Younger readers may not understand all of the references, but they can still appreciate the humor and creativity of the limericks.

5. Can "Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists" be used as a teaching tool?

Yes, "Physics Limericks: Creative Fun for Scientists" can be used as a supplemental teaching tool in physics classrooms. The limericks can help students remember and understand complex concepts in a more engaging and memorable way.