Electrostatic force and # of elementary particles

In summary, to find the electrostatic force between two charged balloons held at an angle of 16 degrees, one must first find the tension of the strings using the equations T1 = (Mpurple*g)/cosθ and T2 = (Mred*g)/cosθ. Then, the distance between the balloons can be found using trigonometry. Once the distance is known, the electrostatic force can be calculated using the equation F=[1/(4*pi*e0)]*[abs(Q1)*abs(Q2)]r^2, where e0 is the permittivity of free space and r is the distance between the charges. To find the number of elementary charges, use the equation q = √(((Lpurple*sinθ +
Plasma
I need to find the electrostatic force & the number of elementary particles between two charged balloons held in the center of their strings (Think of an Isosceles Triangle).

Homework Statement

Mpurple(balloon) - .00354 kg
Mred - .00405 kg
Lpurple - .725 m
Lred - .68 m
θ = 16°
T = Tension

2. Homework Equations & The attempt at a solution

Fnet1 = Mpurple*g - Tcosθ = 0 T2 = (Mred*g)/cosθ
Tcosθ = Mpurple*g
T1 = (Mpurple*g)/cosθ

Fnetx = F-Tsinθ
Tsinθ = F
(M*g)/cosθ * sinθ = F
M*g*tanθ = (k*q²)/r²
M*g*tanθ = (k*q²)/(Lpurple*sinθ + Lred*sinθ)
(Lpurple*sinθ + Lred*sinθ)*( M*g*tanθ) = k*q²
q² = ((Lpurple*sinθ + Lred*sinθ)*( M*g*tanθ))/k
q = √(((Lpurple*sinθ + Lred*sinθ)*( M*g*tanθ))/k)
qPurple = √(((.725*sin16° + .68*sin16°)*( .00354*9.81*tan16°))/8.99x109)
qRed = √(((.725*sin16° + .68*sin16°)*( .00405*9.81*tan16°))/8.99x109)

Tpurple = (.00354 kg * 9.81m/s²)/cos16° = 0.036 N
Tred = (.00405 kg * 9.81m/s²)/cos16° = 0.041 N
qPurple = 6.54 x 10-7 C
qRed = 7.01 x 10-7 C

I don't know how I'd go about finding the Electrostatic force or the number of elementary particles. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyway you can post a diagram--or at least better describe the physical situation. You've done a lot of work and we would like to help..

OK, diagram coming up (If you can read my handwriting) Also, I misread the handout. I was looking for the number of elementary charges, not particles. I know how to do that, so I only need help with the electrostatic force.

diagram.jpg

For electrostatic force, use the equation:

F=[1/(4*pi*e0)]*[abs(Q1)*abs(Q2)]r^2

where e0 is the permittivity of free space.

and r is the distance between the charges. Just find the distance between the balloons (which can be solved with some elementary trig) and you have your answer.

Ok, thanks.

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that results from the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for holding atoms and molecules together, as well as for the interactions between charged objects.

2. How is electrostatic force related to the number of elementary particles?

The electrostatic force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, the number of elementary particles involved in a system affects the strength of the electrostatic force present.

3. What are elementary particles?

Elementary particles are the smallest particles that make up matter. They include subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, as well as fundamental particles like quarks and leptons.

4. How is the number of elementary particles determined?

The number of elementary particles is determined by the Standard Model of particle physics, which classifies all known particles into two categories: fermions and bosons. Fermions are the building blocks of matter and include quarks and leptons, while bosons are force-carrying particles such as photons and gluons.

5. Can the number of elementary particles change?

No, the number of elementary particles is considered to be a fundamental constant and therefore cannot change. However, particles can be created or destroyed through high-energy interactions, but the total number of particles always remains the same.