Aerodynamic performance of a double shrouded fan

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a double shroud fan wheel for an application and the potential effects of switching to a single shroud fan wheel with the same dimensions. The points of discussion include discharge, total head, and power. There is some confusion over the concept of a double shroud fan and whether it is a squirrel cage blower element or an axial-flow fan. It is suggested that switching to a single shroud may decrease efficiency. A picture of the double shroud fan is provided for reference.
Analysis
Hai

I am using a double shroud fan wheel for our application. what will be happened, if i use the same dimensions fan wheel with single shroud ?. can u clariffy for the same in the following points.

1. Discharge

2. Total Head or static head or Dynamic head

3. Power

With regards

K Ilangovan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you clarify what you mean by a 'double shroud fan'? Do you mean co-axial shrouds, or sequential, or what? I don't see the point of having two. :confused:

Danger said:
Can you clarify what you mean by a 'double shroud fan'? Do you mean co-axial shrouds, or sequential, or what? I don't see the point of having two. :confused:

Double shroud refers both end closed in between vanes are placed
refer enclosed attachment

Thanks advance
Ilongo

Attachments

• shroud.gif
    shroud.gif
    138.8 KB · Views: 513
I can't really say for sure. You have, essentially a squirrel cage blower element. I would expect that your performance would decrease because of increased leakage. This is something that normally one would just test.

I misunderstood the original concept; I was thinking of an axial-flow fan with the shroud enclosing it.
I agree with Fred that going to a single shroud would decrease your efficiency. After all, that's half-way to having none.
Nice picture, by the way.

1. What is a double shrouded fan?

A double shrouded fan is a type of fan that has two layers of shroud surrounding its blades. The inner shroud is closer to the blades and the outer shroud is farther away. This design helps to improve the aerodynamic performance of the fan by reducing turbulence and increasing the efficiency of air flow.

2. How does a double shrouded fan improve aerodynamic performance?

The double shroud design helps to reduce turbulence and streamline the air flow, resulting in improved aerodynamic performance. The inner shroud guides the air onto the blades more efficiently, while the outer shroud helps to smooth out the air flow and prevent any recirculation of air. This allows the fan to operate at a higher efficiency and produce a greater air flow.

3. What factors affect the aerodynamic performance of a double shrouded fan?

There are several factors that can affect the aerodynamic performance of a double shrouded fan, including the design and shape of the blades, the size and positioning of the shrouds, the speed of the fan, and the properties of the air being moved (such as temperature and humidity). Proper design and engineering of these factors is crucial for achieving optimal aerodynamic performance.

4. What are the benefits of using a double shrouded fan?

The main benefit of using a double shrouded fan is improved aerodynamic performance. This leads to higher efficiency, greater air flow, and reduced energy consumption. Additionally, the double shroud design can also help to reduce noise levels, as the shrouds act as a barrier to block out sound waves from the fan.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a double shrouded fan?

One potential drawback of using a double shrouded fan is that it may be more expensive to manufacture and maintain compared to a single shrouded or unshrouded fan. Additionally, the added weight and complexity of the shrouds may also impact the overall performance of the fan. However, these potential drawbacks can be mitigated with proper design and engineering, and the benefits of improved aerodynamic performance may outweigh any additional costs or challenges.