What are the best summer plans for a recent high school graduate?

In summary, Mr. Coffee recommends that if the student is concentrating in math and physics, they should take a summer class in either of those subjects. He also recommends that the student should start learning programming on their own if they are not confident in their ability to do so. He warns the student that taking too many classes in a row may lead to burn out.
bubbles
I will be graduating from high school this June and I don't really have any plans for summer. Some of my friends and classmates from high school are planning to take summer jobs and some are doing summer session and some are doing both. Right now, I'm thinking about whether to take classes at the local community college before I go to a university. Some classes I'm considering are Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Intro. to Programming, or Physics Mechanics. The math and physics class will fulfill major requirements but the programming class will prepare me for programming using C++ since I haven't programmed before. I also want to work a part time job, but I don't have any job experience. Any suggestions for a first job? Should I take summer classes? I appreciate your input and advice. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked at a farm for a first time job, then worked at long john silvers and got fired after 3 months hah so i went back to the farm its a good time. It was the hardest physical work I've ever done working at a dairy farm so if you like that type of thing and your a hard worker any type of laborer job will accept you. You don't need job experience to lift heavy objects.

Summer classes are expensive as hell, i took an econ class and it was 1400 for 3 credits.

If you can get a calculus or physics course out of the way that would really lessen your load. When I was a freshman the physics courses is what took all my time but I was already good at C++ from self teaching when I was younger so it was cake getting through the intro/intermediate programming courses.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, Mr. Coffee. Cost should not be a problem since it will cost around $20 a unit.

What I'm worrying about is that if I take prerequisite classes (calculus, algebra, physics), I don't know how they compare with university classes. But then again, I can avoid what I heard to be tough curves. And how important is getting a job in the summer (in terms of getting job experience)? Is it worth it to take classes so that I can have an easier schedule so that I can take a part time job during the fall?

I had a farm job too. It didn't pay very well, but I had a lot of fun being outdoors and I was in good shape at the end of the summer.

Do you have any computer nerd friends who can give you some help if you want to play around with some programming? This is cheaper and more fun than taking a class.

The only reason to get a job for the money. Experience = nil if your experience is not with a technical internship.

Taking classes in the summer is good in every way, except for burn out. In other words, you will thank yourself over and over for blasting away those credits, and the knowledge gained will give you a big head start. I suggest phys/math summer class if that's your concentration, and start learning programming on your own (computer science classes have a lot of stuff for software engineers that you don't need yet).

But don't burn out!

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

What would be considered "burn out"? How difficult is it to take Calculus III over six weeks? Should I take more than five semester units? What are some good c++ tutorials for a beginning programmer?

whatever classes you take over the summer at a community college should be a cake-walk. Once in a while there'll be a difficult professor at a cc. check ratemyprofessors.com and the lower the rating they have, the more likely they'll be a good professor since most of the cc students are lazy.

If you took AP calculus, then multivariable calc may be difficult, as high school teachers don't tend to teach AP calc well. If you're confident that you really understand the concepts from AP calc, then multivariable shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't take more than 5 semester units unless you're taking math/phys/cs and a GE. (Don't take 2 math/phys/cs classes)

Alternatively, you could use your summer vacation to relax and have a break from school. After all, you've been working all year, and will have to work hard when you get to university, so take some time off, go on holiday, spend time with your friends-- that's what I did. Plus I got myself a job, as I needed some money to live on!

What should I do during the summer after high school?

There are a variety of options for what you can do during the summer after high school. Some popular choices include getting a job, traveling, volunteering, interning, or taking summer courses. Consider your interests and goals to determine what would be the best use of your time.

How can I make the most of my summer after high school?

To make the most of your summer after high school, it's important to set goals and make a plan. Consider what you want to achieve, whether it's gaining work experience, exploring new places, or preparing for college. Create a schedule and stick to it, but also make time for relaxation and self-care.

Is it necessary to do something productive during the summer after high school?

While it's always beneficial to stay productive and make the most of your time, it's also important to take a break and recharge after the busy school year. If you feel burnt out and need a break, it's okay to take some time to relax and enjoy yourself. Just make sure to also plan for some productive activities as well.

What are the benefits of taking summer courses after high school?

Taking summer courses after high school can have several benefits. It can help you get a head start on your college education, fulfill prerequisites for your desired major, and boost your GPA. It can also show colleges that you are motivated and serious about your education.

How can I balance work and leisure during the summer after high school?

Balancing work and leisure during the summer after high school can be challenging but it's important to find a healthy balance. Set a schedule for work and stick to it, but also make time for leisure activities and self-care. Remember to prioritize your mental and physical well-being, and don't be afraid to say no to extra work if it becomes overwhelming.