General Relativity and relationism

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether General Relativity is a relational theory and the role of matter and spacetime in this theory. The speaker references a paper by Carlo Rovelli and their own understanding of GR, ultimately questioning Rovelli's argument for relationism in physics based on GR. The conversation also touches on the concept of curvature in relation to matter and energy.
hellfire
Science Advisor
First of all, I have to say that I was thinking long about whether to post this in the Philosophy of Science forum or here. I decided to post it here because, although part of the question is centered on the definition of relationism, the main problem concerns some technical aspects of GR.

I read a paper from Carlo Rovelli titled “Quantum spacetime: what do we know?”, which can be found at http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/9903045 . There it is claimed that General Relativity is a theory in which space and time exist in relation to energy and matter. According to Rovelli, this has to be understood in a profound sense: in the same way that no matter is possible without spacetime, in GR, no spacetime is possible without matter.

My interest is not about Quantum Gravity (this would not be meaningful since the mathematics are beyond my knowledge), but about General Relativity, whose fundaments I would like to understand better. Also, I would like to say that I just know a little bit about GR (from Schutz), so I apologize if I wrote something senseless after this long post.

My problem is that I cannot understand Rovelli’s claim. First of all, the Einstein equations in GR say that the metric is influenced by matter in a similar way than matter is influenced by the metric. IMO this is far away from saying that, if there were no matter, then there would not be any metric. The point is that in GR it is possible to have a spacetime without matter. This is a flat spacetime, not expanding and with gravitational waves depending on boundry conditions. Since it is mathematically possible, one should infer that this has some significance which cannot be ignored.

On the other hand GR describes a matter – metric interaction, which seams to be different to me than describing a matter – spacetime interaction. If we remove the metric from spacetime, then something remains still there: its dimensionality. Spacetime has two essential properties, which should be considered in oder to define it: distances and dimensions. AFAIK, mathematically one can have the second without having the first (as kind of manifold or topological space without metric). The first property (dimensions) is independent of everything and is not influenced by nothing, contrary to the second (the metric).

So, my understanding is: with respect to the existence of the metric and the existence of matter, GR is not a relational theory, since it makes possible the existence of a metric without matter. On the other hand, spacetime is something different than the metric as such, since one cannot define a metric without fixing some dimensions (which are independent of everything).

From this point of view Rovelli’s paper makes no sense to me. I do not claim that Rovelli’s ideas are nonsense, since I do not know whether and how he has enhanced or modified GR, but now I would tend to say that his arguments, trying to ground relationism of physics on GR theory, are not correct or, at least, he does consider GR only partially.

Comments? Thanks.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right that Rovelli's thesis is beyond what Einstein stated. It is possible to set up GR on a massless universe, and it has a metric - indeed that is how it's defined! And Einstein even shows that curvature in an ordinary universe can happen without matter, because of light, and because gravity acts on itself.

selfAdjoint said:
And Einstein even shows that curvature in an ordinary universe can happen without matter, because of light, and because gravity acts on itself.

Interesting. Are you just talking about curvature due to energy in other forms than matter, or are you really talking about curvature without "anything"?

EL said:
Interesting. Are you just talking about curvature due to energy in other forms than matter, or are you really talking about curvature without "anything"?

I once heard that mass proceeded from a tearing of space. Could it be that in the beginning space unfolded without mass as a manifold without boundary, then space expanded so fast that it ripped (forming a boundary :rolleyes: ) from which mass was produced?

1. What is general relativity and relationism?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes the effects of gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. Relationism is a philosophical perspective that states that all objects and events can only be defined and understood in relation to other objects and events.

2. How does general relativity relate to our understanding of gravity?

General relativity expanded our understanding of gravity by proposing that it is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime. This theory has been supported by numerous experiments and observations, and has become an essential part of modern physics.

3. What is the concept of spacetime in general relativity?

In general relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional continuum that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. It is not a fixed background, but rather influenced by the presence of mass and energy, causing it to curve and affect the motion of objects within it.

4. How does general relativity explain the phenomenon of time dilation?

According to general relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the curvature of spacetime. In the presence of strong gravitational fields, time moves slower for objects closer to the source of gravity. This has been confirmed through experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

5. What are some applications of general relativity in modern technology?

General relativity has numerous applications in modern technology, including GPS systems, which use the theory to correct for the time dilation effects of Earth's gravity on satellites. It is also used in the development of accurate atomic clocks, as well as in gravitational wave detectors, which have allowed us to observe the collision of black holes and other astronomical events.