Has light wavelength compression been proven?

In summary, there have been experiments verifying the compressing of light's wavelength by gravity, including observations of X-rays emitted by matter falling into black holes and the Pound & Rebka experiment which involved beams going in both directions. This supports the prediction of gravitational redshift via the theory of general relativity. While there is still some uncertainty about the extent of gravity's effect on earth, there have been early experiments, such as the 57Fe gamma Mossbauer effect, that suggest compression has been successfully observed.
billy_boy_999
has there been an experiment verifying the compressing of light's wavelength by gravity? i thought i heard of one verifying light's wavelength lengthening (redshift) by the Earth back in the 60's or something, i was wondering if we'd proved the compression(blueshift)?

Physics news on Phys.org
billy_boy_999 said:
has there been an experiment verifying the compressing of light's wavelength by gravity? i thought i heard of one verifying light's wavelength lengthening (redshift) by the Earth back in the 60's or something, i was wondering if we'd proved the compression(blueshift)?
The X-rays emitted by matter falling into black holes were a prediction of gravitational redshift via GR. They have been observationally verified.

For earth, I don't know - not a lot of gravity here (relatively speaking).

russ_watters said:
For earth, I don't know - not a lot of gravity here (relatively speaking).

Is there any other way to speak about gravity? :wink:

billy_boy_999 said:
Good question! One of the early 'gravitational redshift' experiments was (IIRC) a 57Fe gamma Mossbauer effect, over a vertical distance of several (tens of?) metres. I don't know if the experimenters went on to put the source on a higher storey of the lab building, and the detector at a lower one ... :smile:

If I'm not mistaken, Nereid, the Pound & Rebka experiment you cite (the one performed at the Harvard tower) involved beams going in both directions.

- Warren

excellent, so obviously compression has been pretty well proved, thanks guys

1. What is light wavelength compression?

Light wavelength compression refers to the phenomenon in which the wavelength of a light wave is shortened or compressed as it travels through a medium, such as air or water.

2. How is light wavelength compression related to refraction?

Light wavelength compression is a result of refraction, which is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums with varying densities. When light enters a medium with a higher density, its speed decreases, causing its wavelength to compress.

3. Has light wavelength compression been proven to exist?

Yes, light wavelength compression has been well documented and proven through numerous experiments and observations. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is a key factor in understanding the behavior of light.

4. What are some real-life examples of light wavelength compression?

One common example of light wavelength compression is the bending of light as it passes through a glass prism, which causes the colors of the spectrum to separate. Another example is the phenomenon of mirages, where light is bent as it passes through different layers of air with varying temperatures.

5. How does light wavelength compression affect our perception of the world?

Light wavelength compression plays a crucial role in our perception of the world, as it allows us to see objects, colors, and images. Without this phenomenon, light would not be able to travel through different mediums and our vision would be severely limited.