What is the most accepted classification of the different races?

In summary: However, because East Indians and Europeans share a common ancestor, they are considered to be of the same race.In summary, this question may be best posted here.
pivoxa15
This question may be best posted here.

What is the most accepted classification of the different races of the entire world?

I am after the classification according to physical features only.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Accepted" how and by whom? Ie, you are correct to post this in social sciences, since race is not a biologically sound concept.

I think there is 1 class. Human.

I don't know but I think there are three:

African
Asian
Indo-European (Middle Eastern is also included in this group)

I am not sure if Polynesian is considered separate or if it's part of Asian. If separate, it split a long time ago.

russ_watters said:
"Accepted" how and by whom? Ie, you are correct to post this in social sciences, since race is not a biologically sound concept.

I was after the classification accepted by the majority of scientists like biologists who are pro race classificationists, if there is such a classification.

glondor said:
I think there is 1 class. Human.

I just can't help but notice that people from one particular area (country) look much different to another. However they look alike amongst themselves hence a need for race classification.

DaveC426913 said:
I don't know but I think there are three:Indo-European (Middle Eastern is also included in this group)

What does the indo stand for?

"Race" is not a biological or scientific term, because there is no objective biological criteria for distinguishing between these so called races. Species can be objectively defined (at least at any given time) as reproductively isolated communities.

I just can't help but notice that people from one particular area (country) look much different to another. However they look alike amongst themselves hence a need for race classification.

Looks can be deceiving. Most variation is within communities, not between.

RACE - The Power of an Illusion

pivoxa15 said:
- Yellow labradors and black labradors also look different, but they're still the same race.

Like Moridin pointed out, there really isn't a rigid, consistent, systematic way to divide between races - so at least to me, especially in such a hot topic as this is, the question becomes "what's the use?" - to which the answer seems to me to be something like "not much - in fact it might be kind of dangerous, seeing the way many people see science and scientific categories"

But honestly, I don't know more about biology than the average person.

Moridin said:
"Race" is not a biological or scientific term, because there is no objective biological criteria for distinguishing between these so called races. Species can be objectively defined (at least at any given time) as reproductively isolated communities.
- Not really - for example; there are cases where A can reproduce with B, B can reproduce with C, but A can't reproduce with C. What then?

pivoxa15 said:
What does the indo stand for?
Eastern Indians and Europeans are part of the same race.

DaveC426913 said:
Eastern Indians and Europeans are part of the same race.

The indians originally in America? They look more like Asians?

pivoxa15 said:
The indians originally in America? They look more like Asians?
No! Eastern indian! India, Pakistan. etc. They are the same race as Europeans.

And yes, native N. Americans are originally Asian (or is it Polynesian?).

Your information about human migration patterns seems very middle school like! I hope you guys don't teach Biology or for that matter, Anthropology . These comments are "Watson" like from "Watson & Crick" fame. Shame on you Anglos!

Last edited:
plutoisacomet said:
Your information about human migration patterns seems very middle school like! I hope you guys don't teach Biology or for that matter, Anthropology . These comments are "Watson" like from "Watson & Crick" fame. Shame on you Anglos!
Care to elaborate? I don't recall anyone talking about migration.

DaveC426913 said:
No! Eastern indian! India, Pakistan. etc. They are the same race as Europeans.

And yes, native N. Americans are originally Asian (or is it Polynesian?).

RIght, that makes much more sense. I did suspect they were very close to Europeans. In fact for me, Eastern Indians seems to be the best resemblance of the whole population of the Earth for they have characteristics from all three major races, Asians, Europeans and Africans.

DaveC426913 said:
I don't know but I think there are three:

African
Asian
Indo-European (Middle Eastern is also included in this group)

I am not sure if Polynesian is considered separate or if it's part of Asian. If separate, it split a long time ago.

How about more of a distinction:

Europeans (i.e whites)
East Asians
Middle East / West Asia (Indo-Europeans)
Native Americans
Oceanian
African

pivoxa15 said:
How about more of a distinction:

Europeans (i.e whites)
East Asians
Middle East / West Asia (Indo-Europeans)
Native Americans
Oceanian
African
Because we can trace East Indians and Europeans back to a common ancestry and we can trace native NA'cans back to either Asian or Oceanian ancestry (I forget which).

By definition then, they're the same race.

It is less clear if the four primaries have common ancestry. Many argue that modern man was born simultaneously in these places.

Why do you put Middle East and Europe together? For one, Afro-Asiatic languages are not Indo-European it that's what you meant.
I also do not agree on a biological classifcation of race since there are clines as you radially move away from a certain spot.

animalcroc said:
Why do you put Middle East and Europe together? For one, Afro-Asiatic languages are not Indo-European it that's what you meant.
Race is not about language.

DaveC426913 said:
Race is not about language.

You said you can trace Indians and Europeans to a common ancestry, but how did you do that? Or rather, how did researchers do that? With language.
If one wants to divide the world into arbitrary racial classifications using language they must be consistent.

DaveC426913 said:
Because we can trace East Indians and Europeans back to a common ancestry and we can trace native NA'cans back to either Asian or Oceanian ancestry (I forget which).

By definition then, they're the same race.

It is less clear if the four primaries have common ancestry. Many argue that modern man was born simultaneously in these places.

But if my goal was to distinguish the people via physical features would these be the best separation?

Which do native south americans fit in? I assume the whites in south america are europeans.

animalcroc said:
You said you can trace Indians and Europeans to a common ancestry, but how did you do that? Or rather, how did researchers do that? With language.
Who says so? You?

DaveC426913 said:
Who says so? You?

Yeah. I'm following the the people who established this information a long time ago.
I am quite knowledgeable in linguistics, geography, and world history, much more than a typical person and probably more than you as well.
Sorry, but your faulty racial categorizations fall apart under scrutiny.

Last edited:
animalcroc said:
Yeah. I'm following the the people who established this information a long time ago.
I am quite knowledgeable in linguistics, geography, and world history, much more than a typical person and probably more than you as well.
Well, "fall apart under scrutiny" is a tad bit overstated. So far you've simply countered with an unfounded claim of your own.

Can you direct me to something that says that language (as opposed to physiology) is the accepted most reliable way of determining ancient ancestry?

Last edited:
animalcroc said:
Umm - no! Racial characteristics are determined from genetic and physiological similarities. Langauge would go with culture, which could be comprised of a predominant race, or perhaps a couple of races.
If one wants to divide the world into arbitrary racial classifications using language they must be consistent.
Why would one wish to do that?

animalcroc said:
This nonsense has gone too far.

Thread locked.

1. What is the most widely used classification of different races?

The most accepted classification of different races is the one proposed by the American Anthropological Association, which divides humans into four major racial groups: African, Asian, European, and Native American. This classification is based on physical characteristics, such as skin color and facial features, and is used by many scientists and organizations around the world.

2. How is race classified in the scientific community?

Race is classified in the scientific community based on genetic and physical characteristics. However, there is no consensus on the exact number or categories of races, as there is significant genetic diversity within and between racial groups. As a result, many scientists prefer to use the term "ancestry" instead of race when discussing human genetic variation.

3. Is race a biological or social construct?

Race is a complex concept that has both biological and social components. While there are physical differences between individuals of different races, these differences are not always clear-cut and can vary greatly within and between racial groups. Additionally, race often has social and cultural meanings and is influenced by historical and societal factors.

4. How has the classification of race evolved over time?

The classification of race has evolved significantly over time. In the past, race was often determined by external physical characteristics and was used to justify discriminatory practices. However, as scientific understanding of genetics and human variation has advanced, there has been a shift towards viewing race as a spectrum rather than discrete categories. Additionally, the recognition of the social and cultural aspects of race has led to a more nuanced understanding of its complexity.

5. Are there any limitations to the current classification of race?

Yes, there are some limitations to the current classification of race. As mentioned earlier, there is significant genetic variation within and between racial groups, making it difficult to assign individuals to a single race. Additionally, the classification of race is often influenced by societal and cultural factors, which can vary greatly across regions and time periods. Therefore, it is important to recognize the complexities and limitations of race classification and to approach the topic with caution and sensitivity.