I want to be an *Astrophysicist* [Need guidance]

In summary, as a 15-year-old interested in becoming an astrophysicist, you should focus on developing a strong foundation in math and science. This includes taking advanced courses in physics and math, such as calculus, trigonometry, and algebra. Additionally, reading books and textbooks on astronomy and astrophysics can help give you a better understanding of the subject matter. It's also important to develop good study habits and the ability to self-study, as this will be crucial for success in college and beyond. Finally, remember that becoming an astrophysicist will require a lot of hard work and dedication, so it's important to be prepared for the challenges ahead.
thinkies
...Well,I'm a 15 years old kid looking forward to be an astrophysicist someday...however i really need guidance,so can i start building up some *aspects* that may lead me into great opportunities.

First of all,I am pretty much interested in astronomy(galaxy,black holes,cosmology,planets,etc etc etc)..So...does astrophysics is the field that studies all that?

This may be one of the irritating question,but...which is THE *best* university to study physics?

As of now,I am studying in Canada,in a simple high school and am doing pretty well in all my subjects(with an average of 83%).Any particular fields I should work and concentrate on?...(I believe some universities will demand great marks for certain subjects,such as science,physics and math in order to be admitted

...That'll be all...I guess

Any advise,tips,etc...is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astrophysics is fantastically interesting, isn't it? You've asked some pretty basic questions, so I'll give some basic answers. Respond if you'd like more details about anything in particular.

thinkies said:
First of all,I am pretty much interested in astronomy(galaxy,black holes,cosmology,planets,etc etc etc)..So...does astrophysics is the field that studies all that?

Yes, astrophysics or space sciences encompasses all those subject and more. Within astrophysics, there are cosmologists, planetary scientists, etc.

thinkies said:
This may be one of the irritating question,but...which is THE *best* university to study physics?

Honestly, I don't think that question has an answer. What's best for you probably isn't best for the next person. Asking, "What is a good university to study physics?" is a different question than asking, "How can I best study physics at a university?" In my opinion, any university that encourages you to learn, challenges you, and supports you as you grow is a good place to study physics.

thinkies said:
As of now,I am studying in Canada,in a simple high school and am doing pretty well in all my subjects(with an average of 83%).Any particular fields I should work and concentrate on?...(I believe some universities will demand great marks for certain subjects,such as science,physics and math in order to be admitted

Great! The obvious answers are math and science classes, particularly physics and physics-related. Most universities will want you to have taken classes in basic physics and basic calculus. The more advanced, the better, but you're limited by what courses your school offers.

Best of luck to you!
Laura

Thank You Laura.

Any recommendations regarding some 'practical' things I can do to establish a good 'knowledge' before heading for college and uni for physics...?

You could read books/textbooks such as Discovering the universe or The New solar system to get an idea what basic astronomy is like.

Well...I do hope for more advises ^.^...common people,drop some advices/tips,I might be tomorrow's Einstein :P

Thanks for the answer PowerIso.

I've read numerous books related basic astronomy.Thats not really my concern in this thread...xD

Okay, then read INTRO TO GALAXIES & COSMOLOGY, by jones.

I'm not really sure what level you are at, you're 15, so you may think you know "basic astronomy" but may not really know. Who knows. you might actually know some of it, but there is so much to it that it wouldn't hurt reading more on it.

The only thing you can really do right now is work on your math and science skills. Learn some physics, but to learn physics, you'll need a good grasp of trig, vectors, and sometimes calculus. Learn the spherical coordinate system, learn group theory, and raise your grade and develop good study habits.

Whoa,thanks once again...for that advice.Seems like more work.Also,what exactly do you mean by :"good grasp of trig, vectors, and sometimes calculus. Learn the spherical coordinate system, learn group theory"?

I believe I won't be learning that in high school o.0...?

...Beside,math will be a huge hurdle in this,how can I train to be *really* good(obviously not school...teacher don't have enough..time =.=)...Tuition?

P.S.:My average in math is 80%! I want to raise it up to 88%+...=.=

I'm just trying that if you are weak in math, work at it really hard. You should learn in high school, trig, and calculus. If you are lucky, you'll be introduced into the spherical coordinate system along with the cylindrical system in some form of advance high school math. I wouldn't worry if you don't get to that, but my point is don't get ahead of yourself. You got to first work on your basic physics and math skills. If you are bad at algebra, get good at it. Once you got a good head on algebra, go to trig. Once you are okay with trig move onto calculus. It's a process.

Part of being a good student is the ability to self-study. I'm sure you got a library somewhere near you, they tend to have plenty of decent books to self-study from. If you don't (for some reason), then use online sources. It's hard work, but so is physics, but if you enjoy the material it goes by easier.

Thanks so much...now then,I'll sleep...lets see what tomorrow holds for me :)...

Thx a lot for some answers up there,and keep em comin!

thinkies said:
Whoa,thanks once again...for that advice.Seems like more work.Also,what exactly do you mean by :"good grasp of trig, vectors, and sometimes calculus. Learn the spherical coordinate system, learn group theory"?

I believe I won't be learning that in high school o.0...?
If you're averse to work, you probably shouldn't be an astrophysicist. The reality is that an astrophysicist basically has to get a master's degree in math in order to understand everything. It will be motivated by theory, and you'll learn the math from physics books (for the most part), but a bachelor's degree in physics requires four semesters of calculus and maybe linear algebra. A PhD in astrophysics will require a LOT more.

You might find it useful to learn some computer programming. Astronomers spend a lot of time getting computers to do the heavy lifting.

Last edited:
What`s the difference between a astronomer and a astrophysicist?

Do they study the same field?

They both requir a phD in physics right?

When I was interested in this, I contacted accredited schools nearby about their programs.
You might want to do the same, of course with the I-net you can search and many will send you catalogues or pamphlets listing the core curriculum involved in attaining a degree there on that subject.
Also, someone within the dept. could advise you where to focus your discipline.

It's not like some think, where you observe the sky or data of, then Mathematically assume a model for everything you're trying to encompass.

You can easily work in this field maintaining systems, and cataloguing data. And, even hit it on the other end from another discipline with a theory that others can (d)establish.

Some in this area are trained solely visibly, in order to better detect as before unobserved celestial occurrence. Others, tend to work with nothing but the data. And, rarely look upwards for what they need. Just throw around the data via computer/hand scale till something falls into place.

I'd start hitting some .edu sites, and requesting info. As, you're never to young to focus on your interest.

As far as what books to study, in general at the high school level. Plane Geometry and Physical Science are broad subjects that will contain information that relates, and should be available to you at your school library.

Good luck with it.

Thanks delta_moment.

As for the 'plane geometry' your recommending,will it be something that is normally integrated in high school studies or i'll have to study /practice with some hire teacher ^.^(or myself,that'll be hard..)

Thx....

P.S.:Any recommendations for any books that I can buy to practice algebra and other math sh*ts...:)

Also,for my question above,can some1 tell me if if *****an astronomer does the same thing as an astrophysicist*******?

Thx once again...

Well,regarding the above post,I was wondering if any1 can recommend me couple of books i can read/study/analyze/practice and improve my science,physics and math skills (as of now I am 15/in 9th grade)...

Thx...very helpful...this forum :-)

... and how good do you think an 80% avg in math for a 9th grade student is?...by my 11th year(which is still in high school...here in Canada,in the provence of Quebec...=.=) I need to have an avg of 90% at least...(<--- personnel goal)

I'll be starting physics and chemistry next year...and...umas of know,in science,my avg is 83....which I want to increase to 90% too!(any tips, a part dedication MORE TIME TO STUDY,any practical thing that can help *understand*?)

Geez... laslty...i only study about 1-2 hr/day..though not *always*...How should my study in home be...?...

*so confused ...o.0*

thinkies said:
... and how good do you think an 80% avg in math for a 9th grade student is?...by my 11th year(which is still in high school...here in Canada,in the provence of Quebec...=.=) I need to have an avg of 90% at least...(<--- personnel goal)

I'll be starting physics and chemistry next year...and...umas of know,in science,my avg is 83....which I want to increase to 90% too!(any tips, a part dedication MORE TIME TO STUDY,any practical thing that can help *understand*?)

Geez... laslty...i only study about 1-2 hr/day..though not *always*...How should my study in home be...?...

*so confused ...o.0*

I would like to make my comment on this.
Don't be so hard on yourself! Who cares whether you have 83% or 90% in 9th grade! You know, high school isn't that serious. It's only at university that things get serious. God, you're only 15! My advice to you is to stop worrying and enjoy your years at school. Go out, hang out with friends. You'll study enough at university, I promise. Don't worry about people on this forum who tell you "you should learn trig, calculus, algebra and spherical coordinates" or whatever. Group theory, come on! You're 15 and you're a normal student (by that I mean not someone like Terence Tao with an IQ of 180, no offense). Just make sure you understand everything at school first and then you can *eventually* read some more advanced stuff about maths or physics.
If physics really interest you in the first place, you shouldn't come here on this forum and ask people what books you should read. It should come naturally. Go to the physics section in your nearest library, pick a book you're interested in and start reading. You see, I think you "force" yourself too much. At your age, you shouldn't have any pressure on yourself or whatsoever. I got interested in Computer Science when I found an old book of my dad's about C and I just tried to program some things. It got me and I kept reading and learning more about it. But my attitude wasn't at all "Oh, now I should study this and then I have to do this and..." but I just enjoyed myself when I was programming little games or applications. It was all very spontaneous and it was more a hobby that anything else. You should feel the same about physics, if that is what really interests you.
My conclusion is that you should be glad with the results you have. I mean, an average of 80% is great! But don't just try to be someone you're not.

I hope you take my advice,

Yoran

thinkies said:

Caltech (possibly biased... ok 100% biased, but you have to admit, its good (and depressingly hard))

:smile: It makes me glad to see other people my age taking interest in physics. Where I live it seems like a pretty rare interest and can be somewhat lonely at times

What I would recommend is reading as much as is within your ability to read (and maybe push the envelope a bit.) Personally, I can't yet understand the maths required for a lot of higher level physics, so I read books for laymen (i suggest you go by your local bookstore or library and check out the science section, read some stephen hawking and the like), watch lectures online (http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses.php" and I try to learn some of the basics in hopes of eventually getting up to the big stuff. Kinematics can be your friend (or worst nightmare).

Last edited by a moderator:
thinkies said:
Also,for my question above,can some1 tell me if if *****an astronomer does the same thing as an astrophysicist*******?

Yes. In modern days, there is no difference between an astronomer and an astrophysicist, and the terms are interchangable. Astronomy is a general term which encompasses astrophysics (the study of astronomy using physics) as well as amateur astronomy and anything else astro-related.

thinkies said:
Thanks delta_moment.

As for the 'plane geometry' your recommending,will it be something that is normally integrated in high school studies or i'll have to study /practice with some hire teacher ^.^(or myself,that'll be hard..)

Thx....

P.S.:Any recommendations for any books that I can buy to practice algebra and other math sh*ts...:)

Thx once again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomy#Use_of_terms_.22astronomy.22_and_.22astrophysics.22

seems they're integrated in there meaning. As per usual, the wikipedia entry has a lot of references which could indicate some interesting books for you.

I'm 16.5 currently and I'm also quite interested in astrophysics...

I suppose a good way to build up interest is to:
1) Read some books on basic astronomy
2) Go on the internet and do some reading
3) You could get yourself a small telescope and play around with it. I personally think that this builds interest the most for me.

Before you think that a telescope is too expensive for you, there are small decent telescopes out there for sale for around USD$100 - USD$350... If you can't afford that, there are second hand telescopes cheaper than USD$100...

Walmart's got a model for $89.00US I've been considering by Mead. It looks good.
I'll wait till it warms up outside, though.

DavidSmith said:
Also an 83% isn't very good. You would need to do much better.

The definition of a "high" mark varies from school to school and country to country - and even within a country. The OP will also be 19 before finishing CEGEP - so that's a few more years to beautify your transcript!

In my opinion you have the potential to be a much better scientist if you are a fifteen year-old with an 85% average - who pursues academic interests and hobbies outside of the school curriculum - than if you have a 95% average and are a whiny yes-man devoid of curiosity.

thinkies

"According to the Oxford University physics dictionary:

"Astronomy is the study of the universe beyond the Earth's atmosphere. The main branches are astrometry, celestial mechanics, and astrophysics.

Astrophysics is the branch of astronomy concerned with the physical processes associated with the celestial bodies and the intervening regions of space. It deals principally with the energy of stellar systems and the relation between this energy and the evolution of the system.

So, astronomy is sort of a top level science that covers any scientific explorations of space beyond our atmosphere and astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that is concerned with the actual physics of stars, planets, black-holes, etc. , their formation, evolution and ultimately their future.

For example, if you have a telescope in your backyard and you like to observe the night sky and make star charts and learn about our solar system then you are an amateur astronomer but if you like to use equations to calculate how big does a star have to be in order to become a black hole one day - well then you are an amateur astrophysicist.""

I'm not really sure how different Canadian qualifactions are to UK ones but I'm studying physics and maths [with mechanics] (and biology and english) at A-Level and maths and physics are the main things that you need for any type of physics future.

I agree with reading plenty of books on the subject though I'm not sure what to recommend :)

hope this helps i want to be an astrophysist too :)) hope we both get what we want

Warning: zombie thread.

Hi there, 2nd year phys undergrad here that's also aspiring to said profession. First off you'd want a degree in physics or math(or engineering) and go into grad school after graduating, taking as many relevant elective courses in your later years of college as you can (introductory cosmology, teledetection, stellar physics, computational fluid dynamics, relativity, atomic & molecular spectroscopy to name some offered by my university, which are the exact same courses in the Astrophysics masters). Then try to get a grant and start working towards your phD in the field.

It will be extremely useful if you pick up some computer programming experience on the side, be curious and learn what you can while keeping it fun and relevant to physics (python is a good introductory language. During the first year at my uni, the professor for a general CS course (happened to be the faculty dean and a reknown astrophysicist) showed the students a simulation of a spiral galaxy written completely in said language).

edit: whoops.

So I wonder if the kid ended up becoming a physicist.

...oh wait, he'd still only be 17. Necromancer threads are always fun though.

Arunma, I'm not exactly a physicist yet, but I'm on my way to become one! I'm an IB student now and I should be applying to universities in a year...

God, how stupid I was when I posted this thread and my other "Astrophysicist salary". Oh well, I guess I matured up now! :p

1. What education do I need to become an Astrophysicist?

To become an Astrophysicist, you will need a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and astronomy. This typically involves obtaining a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics or astronomy, followed by a graduate degree in astrophysics or a related field.

2. What skills are important for an Astrophysicist?

As an Astrophysicist, you will need strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of physics and mathematics. Additionally, communication skills are important for presenting research findings and collaborating with colleagues.

3. What type of work does an Astrophysicist do?

An Astrophysicist conducts research to study the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. They use advanced mathematical and computational techniques to analyze data and develop theories about the universe.

4. What job opportunities are available for Astrophysicists?

Astrophysicists can work in a variety of settings, including universities, government agencies, research institutes, and private companies. Some common job titles include research scientist, data analyst, and professor. Additionally, many Astrophysicists also work in related fields, such as aerospace engineering or computer science.

5. How can I gain experience in Astrophysics?

To gain experience in Astrophysics, you can participate in research projects or internships during your undergraduate or graduate studies. You can also attend conferences and workshops to network with professionals in the field and learn about current research. Additionally, reading scientific publications and staying up-to-date on advancements in the field can also help you gain knowledge and experience in Astrophysics.