Electron configuration notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the electron configuration for Ca 2+ in both full notation and core notation. It is explained that the full notation for Ca 2+ is [Ar] 4s2, and when the 4s2 electrons are removed, the core notation becomes [Ar]. The conversation also briefly touches on the electron configuration for the element S and clarifies that the core notation is simply the noble gas notation.
Larrytsai
right in full notation, and core

Full
Ca 2+ =
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p4

Core
Ca 2+ = [Ar] 4s2 - what happens when the 4s2 cancells out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your full notation is wrong.

I'm not quite certain what your second question is in regards to.

Larrytsai said:
right in full notation, and core

Full
Ca 2+ =
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p4

Core
Ca 2+ = [Ar] 4s2 - what happens when the 4s2 cancells out?

Ca = [Ar] 4s2

If you have the element S2- you're electron configuration will be [Ar], while the element S is just [Ne] 3s2 3p4.

GCT said:
Your full notation is wrong.

I'm not quite certain what your second question is in regards to.

hmm. that's the thing, the positive ion throws me off... I am supposed to remove 2 electrons in this order P -> S -> D so originally i would have 2+ more on the last shell

Second question I am supposed to write in Core Notation.

Your supposed to remove the electron from the highest occupied electron orbital which is the 4s2 orbital - what would you have as a result?

Core notation refers to the noble gas notation - it's nothing complicated once you figure out the first part the second should be made apparent.

1. What is electron configuration notation?

Electron configuration notation is a shorthand method used to represent the arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels.

2. How is electron configuration notation written?

Electron configuration notation consists of the energy level, sublevel, and the number of electrons in each sublevel, represented by a superscript.

3. Why is electron configuration notation important in chemistry?

Electron configuration notation helps us understand the chemical properties of an element by showing the number of valence electrons and the element's overall electronic structure.

4. What is the significance of the order in which sublevels are filled in electron configuration notation?

The order of sublevels being filled follows the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill the lowest energy level sublevel before moving to the next highest energy level.

5. How can electron configuration notation be used to predict an element's reactivity?

The number of valence electrons, represented in the highest energy level in electron configuration notation, can help predict an element's reactivity. Elements with a full outer energy level are stable and less reactive, while elements with partially filled outer energy levels are more reactive.