Solving Graph Analysis: Find Derivatives & Turning Point

In summary: = e^{z^2}(2z+1)+ z(2e^{z^2})(2z+1)= (2z+1)(e^{z^2}+2ze^{z^2})= 2z(e^{z^2}+2ze^{z^2})+ (e^{z^2}+2ze^{z^2})= 2z^2e^{z^2}+4z^3e^{z^2}+e^{z^2}+4z^2e^{z^2}= 4z^3e^{z^2}+6z^2e^{z^2}+2ze^{
Air
1. Homework Statement :
A curve for for [itex]z>-1[/itex] is given by:

[itex]x=\ln(1+z), \ y=e^{z^2}[/itex].

Find [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2}[/itex] in terms of [itex]z[/itex] and show that the curve has only one turning point and that this must be a minimum.

2. The attempt at a solution:
[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{1+z}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d}y} = 2ze^{z^2}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{(1+z)(2ze^{z^2})}[/itex]

3. The problem I have encountered:
Can you check that it is corerct so far and provide tips on how to differentiate further to find [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
On the second line of your attempt, you have dz/dy = 2ze^(z^2) but the right hand side is the result of differentiating dy by dz. That should fix your third line.

Last edited:
snipez90 said:
On the second line of your attempt, you have dz/dy = 2ze^(z^2) but the right hand side is the result of differentiating dy by dz. That should fix your third line.

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}z} = \frac{1}{1+z}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}z} = 2ze^{z^2}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = (1+z)(2ze^{z^2})[/itex]

Last edited:
Is this correct:

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}z^2} = 2e^{z^2} + 4z^2e^{z^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2x}{\mathrm{d}z^2} = -\frac{1}{(1+z)^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2} = 4z^4e^{z^2} + 8z^3e^{z^2} + 6z^2e^{z^2} + 4ze^{z^2} + 2e^{z^2}[/itex]

The dy/dx is correct. You have a slight typo on the second line (should be dy/dz), no biggie.

Anyways I've never encountered such a second derivative but I would assume you would then take d/dx [(1+z)(2ze^(z^2))] and implicitly differentiate. This could get ugly, so first take the constant 2 out and probably would be a good idea to distribute the ze^(z^2) factor and applying the product rule twice.

I think this way works, though now you do need dz/dx, which is just e^x. And then you could express everything in terms of z in the end. However I wouldn't doubt that there is a better way of doing this.

snipez90 said:
Anyways I've never encountered such a second derivative but I would assume you would then take d/dx [(1+z)(2ze^(z^2))] and implicitly differentiate. This could get ugly, so first take the constant 2 out and probably would be a good idea to distribute the ze^(z^2) factor and applying the product rule twice.

I've done it by using [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}z^2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2x}{\mathrm{d}z^2}[/itex] then finding [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2} [/itex]. Are my answer's posted above correct?

I don't think that manipulation works for derivatives higher than the first, i.e. dy/dx = (dy/dz)/(dy/dz) but you have to differentiate the resulting expression with respect to x after that. Though I'm working out the final answer at the moment.

OK, after taking d/dx [(1+z)(2ze^(z^2))] with the fact that dz/dx = e^x = e^[ln(z+1)] = z+1 and checking it, I got

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2}=[/tex]

2[e^(z^2)](z+1)(2z^3 + 2z^2 + 2z +1)

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)= \frac{d}{dx}(1+z)(2ze^{z^2})[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{dz}{dx}(2ze^{z^2})+ z\frac{d(2ze^z)}{dx}[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of finding derivatives and turning points in graph analysis?

The purpose of finding derivatives and turning points in graph analysis is to understand the behavior and characteristics of a given function or graph. Derivatives represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while turning points indicate where the graph changes direction from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. These concepts are important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function using graph analysis?

To find the derivative of a function using graph analysis, you can use the slope formula, which is the change in y divided by the change in x. You can also use the power rule or the chain rule, depending on the type of function. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the function and find the derivative at a specific point.

3. What is the significance of the turning points in a graph?

Turning points are significant in a graph because they represent the points where the function changes direction. They can indicate maximum or minimum values of the function, and also provide information about the concavity of the graph. Turning points can also be used to find the critical points of a function, which are important in optimization problems.

4. Can derivatives and turning points be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, derivatives and turning points can be applied to real-world problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, derivatives can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a moving object, while turning points can be used to find the optimal production level in a manufacturing process. They can also be used to analyze financial data and make predictions about market trends.

5. Are there any limitations to using derivatives and turning points in graph analysis?

One limitation of using derivatives and turning points in graph analysis is that they only provide information about a function at a specific point. They do not give a complete picture of the behavior of the function, and additional analysis may be needed to understand the overall trend. Also, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the precision of the data and the assumptions made in the calculations.