Planck's law and ultraviolet catastrophe

In summary, Planck's law states that at lower wavelengths, the blackbody radiation falls to zero instead of continuing to climb as stated in the Rayleigh-Jeans law. This is due to the quantization of energy in the oscillators, which limits the amount of energy that can go into each frequency "mode" and avoids the ultraviolet catastrophe. This can be seen in the mathematical expression of Planck's law, where the probability of a compartment receiving a "quantum of water" decreases with higher frequencies, resulting in a finite amount of energy being distributed at lower wavelengths.
kwuk
Hi. I know this is a pretty basic principle, however I'm fairly new to the subject and was wondering if anyone is able to give a brief 'layman' explanation of why, as Planck's law states, at lower wavelengths the blackbody radiation falls to zero rather than continuing to climb as stated in the Rayleigh-Jeans law.

I have read a number of articles but none yet seem to have a basic enough explanation to allow me to 'picture' the principles involved.

Anyone that can help me with this would have my eternal gratitude!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Latex Code I(\lambda,T) =\frac{2 hc^2}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{ e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT}}-1}.

The above mathematical statement of Planck's law will clear the dirt. In the Rayleigh-Jeans law the function diverged for low \lambda (or in the limit \lambda -> 0), however this does happen over here. Planck assumed the quantization of energy the oscillators - they can only take up energies in bundles (or multiples of h\nu). This made all the difference for the mean energy of the dipole oscillators in his model. The Rayleigh-Jeans' Law can be derived from the Planck's law for high wavelengths.

shouvikdatta8 said:
[tex] I(\lambda,T) =\frac{2 hc^2}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{ e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT}}-1}[/tex]

Sorry, I couldn't read it, so I put in the tex brackets and it all became clear. I'm quoting the tex, cause if it was useful to me, it might help someone else too..

I think the "layman" explanation kwuk is looking for might go something like this. If we don't force the energy that goes into light to be in little h*nu bundles (quantized photons), then we expect there to be an amount of energy proportional to T to go into every "mode" of the system. That's pretty much the classical meaning of T-- it tells you the energy in each mode, sort of like when you pour water into an ice cube tray, each compartment fills to the same level and we can say that level is proportional to T. So then you get the Rayleigh-Jeans law just by asking how many "compartments" there are for each frequency, and filling them in proportion to T. However, there are a lot more such compartments at high frequency, all getting energy proportional to T, and that's the "ultraviolet catastrophe"-- there's no limit to this.

What saves you is that the water going into the compartments is not continuous, it is quantized, and even more importantly, it is quantized in a way that is proportional to the frequency corresponding to that compartment. Thus you reach a point where the energy that corresponds to T does not fulfill the requirements of even a single energy quantum, and that "cuts off" the distribution. There is still a probability that that compartment will get a "quantum of water" in it, despite the relatively low T, but the probability gets small as the frequency rises, and that is what rescues you and gives you a finite amount of water in the ice cube tray even when it has an infinite number of compartments in all.

Physically, what is happening here is that if the universe can just dump "T" worth of energy in every ice-cube compartment, it is happy (entropically speaking) to do so, and that leads to the catastrophe. But if you force it to put way more than "T" worth of energy to satisfy a single "quantum" in the higher-frequency bins, then it doesn't like that at all, and is so loathe to do so that the water in the tray becomes finite and the problem goes away.

1. What is Planck's law and why is it important?

Planck's law, also known as the Planck radiation law, is a fundamental law of physics that describes the emission of electromagnetic radiation from a blackbody. It is important because it provided a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, and led to the development of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the ultraviolet catastrophe and how does it relate to Planck's law?

The ultraviolet catastrophe is a paradox that arose when classical physics predicted that as the temperature of a blackbody increases, the amount of emitted radiation in the ultraviolet region would also increase infinitely. This was in direct contradiction with experimental observations. Planck's law was able to explain this paradox by introducing the concept of quantization, where energy is emitted in discrete packets or "quanta" rather than continuously, as predicted by classical physics.

3. How did Planck's law contribute to the development of quantum mechanics?

Planck's law was a major breakthrough in physics, as it introduced the concept of quantization and challenged the classical understanding of electromagnetic radiation. This led to further research and the development of quantum mechanics, which revolutionized our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

4. What is a blackbody and how does it relate to Planck's law?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation incident on it and emits radiation at all wavelengths. Planck's law was originally developed to describe the behavior of a blackbody, and it is often used to approximate the behavior of real objects that are close to a blackbody, such as stars or the Earth's atmosphere.

5. How accurate is Planck's law in describing real-world systems?

Planck's law is a highly accurate model for predicting the behavior of electromagnetic radiation from a blackbody at high temperatures. However, at lower temperatures and for non-ideal systems, it may not accurately predict the behavior of radiation. In these cases, modifications to the law, such as the Wien displacement law and the Stefan-Boltzmann law, may be used to improve its accuracy.