I came up with a new theory on adhesive strength

In summary, the theory describes how an adhesive behaves when sheared between two surfaces. The forces between the adhesive and the surfaces are springs in parallel, each contributing to the overall adhesive force. If the shear force is applied between the adhesive and the silicon, the adhesive force between silicon and adhesive can be ignored.
unscientific
First, I pondered about the concepts of force and pressure, force can't exist without pressure, vice versa. Imagine a an adhesive sandwiched between a tabletop and a silicon wafer. (this is part 1)

Now, when you exert a shearing force Fshear above the adhesive and between the silicon thickness, the adhesive-silicon force exerts an adhesive force opposite in direction to the shearing force. Simultaneously, the adhesive-table force exerts an adhesive force opposite in direction to the shearing force.

This is shown as in diagram 1.

At the point of cohesive failure,

Fshear = F'si + F'table

If F'si > F'table,
the point of rupture would be the table-adhesive contact

If F'table > F'si,
the point of rupture would be the silicon-adhesive contact.

Now, I know that F'table is less than Ftable, where Ftable is the TRUE or MAXIMUM adhesive contact force between the adhesive and table.
Furthermore, I know that F'si is less than Fsi, where Fsi is the TRUE of MAXIMUM adhesive contact force between the adhesive and silicon.

Attachments

• diagram 1.jpg
    diagram 1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 421
Engineering news on Phys.org
Now, if the shear force was applied BETWEEN the silicon and the surface of the table, but very close to the surface of the table, the adhesive force between Silicon and adhesive can be IGNORED, as they do not come into play.

Now, looking from the plan view (from Above), I imagine the surface of the adhesive to be composed of tiny segments, each producing a adhesive force to resist the shear force.(diagram2)

Now, here's when i come up with my theory: I imagine the adhesive forces to be composed entirely of springs, where an infinitesimally SMALL and THIN(2d) part of the adhesive surface contains a "spring", that will contribute to part of the adhesive force. Now, when u apply a shear force that is parallel to the surface of the adhesive, the adhesive behaves like springs in parallel, each contributing directly where Fadhesive = kx1 + kx2 + kx3 + kx4...

Now, i imagine there to be composed of N number of layers of springs, each of 0 thickness, and each layer interacts with each other like springs in parallel. So the first layer in contact with the surface-adhesive will exert a force of nkx where n is the number of springs in a layer. Then the second layer will exert a force of nkx/2, 3rd layer nkx/3, 4th layer is nkx/4 ...until when at the infiniteth layer, that layer does not exert any force opposing Fshear.
This is logical, as u imagine a high TOWER of adhesive, as shown in diagram 3, where the lowest layer(infiniteth) does not contribute any adhesive force.

Attachments

• diagram 3.jpg
    diagram 3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 435
  • diagram 2.jpg
    diagram 2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 442
Now, if the shear force was applied BETWEEN the silicon and the surface of the table, but very close to the surface of the table, the adhesive force between Silicon and adhesive can be IGNORED, as they do not come into play.

Now, looking from the plan view (from Above), I imagine the surface of the adhesive to be composed of tiny segments, each producing a adhesive force to resist the shear force.(diagram2)

Now, here's when i come up with my theory: I imagine the adhesive forces to be composed entirely of springs, where an infinitesimally SMALL and THIN(2d) part of the adhesive surface contains a "spring", that will contribute to part of the adhesive force. Now, when u apply a shear force that is parallel to the surface of the adhesive, the adhesive behaves like springs in parallel, each contributing directly where Fadhesive = kx1 + kx2 + kx3 + kx4...kxn (Where n = no. of springs in each layer)

Section 2: "So its all comes down to layers.."

Now, i imagine there to be composed of p number of layers, each of 0 thickness, and each layer interacts with each other like springs in parallel. Let there be N number of springs interacting between 2 layers, each with a "stiffness" constant of klayer. So the first layer in contact with the surface-adhesive will exert a force of nklayerx where n is the number of springs within a layer.

So, the TOTAL "spring-adhesive" forces in layer 1 is just nkx, between layer 1 and layer 2 is Nklayerxlayer (springs between layer 1 and 2 are in series), layer2-3 is Nklayerxlayer/2, layer 3-4 is Nklayerxlayer/3, until the infiniteth layer its 0 (the base of an infinitely long series of springs does not contribute any restoring force.

Therefore, the total "adhesive" forces = nkx + Nklayerxlayer (1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 + ...1/(p-1))

Unfortunately for your hypothesis, a simple free-body diagram of the adhesive region in your diagram shows that F'si = -F'table. So your inequalities don't make much sense.

We already have a theory describing adhesion; it involves molecular bonding. It describes the mechanical response to shear loading. It describes deadhesion by crack propagation. It even describes the http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.biophys.30.1.105" . I recommend checking it out.

EDIT: I'm assuming both forces, as drawn, act on the adhesive. In any case, their magnitudes (if not their directions) are equal, as shown by a free-body diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are in the same direction, check out diagram 1.

Sorry, this isn't a forum for developing new theories.

1. What is the significance of your new theory on adhesive strength?

The significance of my new theory on adhesive strength lies in its potential to improve the understanding and development of adhesives in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and medicine. It can also lead to the creation of stronger and more effective adhesives.

2. How did you come up with this new theory?

This theory was developed through a combination of extensive research, experimentation, and analysis of existing theories and data on adhesive strength. It also involved collaboration with other scientists and experts in the field.

3. Can you explain your theory in simple terms?

In simple terms, my theory proposes that the strength of an adhesive bond is determined by the combination of chemical bonding, mechanical interlocking, and surface energy between the adhesive and the surfaces it is bonding.

4. What makes your theory different from existing theories on adhesive strength?

While existing theories focus on one aspect of adhesive strength, my theory takes into account the interplay of multiple factors that contribute to the overall strength of the bond. It also provides a more comprehensive understanding of the underlying mechanisms of adhesion.

5. What are the potential applications of your theory?

The potential applications of my theory include the development of stronger and more durable adhesives for various industries, as well as the improvement of existing adhesive products. It can also be used in the design and manufacturing of new materials and structures that rely on adhesives for bonding.